Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

The FIL has decided he’s going to fell the half fallen over tree in our backyard.

With our 10” electric chainsaw.

He does have experience with this stuff.

But the chainsaw is meant for pruning headges.

This oughta be good.
Tell him he's not insured or licensed and you just can't stomach the thought of an insurance claim.

Depends on if it's a yard tree, doesn't it?
Not really, they're often sold with suggestion of planting them slightly tight, then thinning to make some $$ after 10-15 years. Planting tight encourages straight, upright growth - perfect for the intended veneer process. Is very important not to just drop the logs smack onto the ground - the additional check marks in the finished logs can render them valueless for little more than firewood.

None of that addresses the problems of a yard tree.
Your question was whether it was still worth some money if it was a yard tree - I responded, not that it was directed to me but people respond to stuff like that all the time. .
Anyways, it depends but nothing about being a yard tree precludes it from being valuable nor insures it would be valuable.
Not sure why you feel the tree is a problem. Other than needing to come down.

The tree isnt a problem. WTF?
Nothing indicated it was a problem. Valve has a big property, the tree is apparently half-fallen(his description). It's not a "problem" per se, people leave half fallen trees on bigger properties sometimes for years. Sounded like the FIL just wanted to make himself useful.

None of that addresses the problems of a yard tree.

Are there "ornamental" walnut trees that are different from walnuts-you-can-eat walnut trees, like there are with orange trees?
If so, is that different kind of walnut wood with less or no value?

I'd never thought of that.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Are there "ornamental" walnut trees that are different from walnuts-you-can-eat walnut trees, like there are with orange trees?

Not much of that. English walnuts(what you generally are eating) and black walnut(good for eating, more expensive). Both are used for board - black walnut is more valuable as timber, but not by much.
CHeck out the prices!
https://www.homedepot.com/b/Lumber-...nfinished/Walnut/N-5yc1vZbqmcZ1z0jpgqZ1z0sfpa
Apricot pie with black walnut crumble topping - it's a thing, used to make that.

A quick Google shows that there are walnut trees not cultivated for their fruit, but for other reasons. Doesn't mention which is worth more.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
First time I was in LA there were orange trees all over the place like along the street and in landscaping and stuff everywhere so I grabbed one and took a bite. That's when I learned what ornamental orange trees were.