Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

No, you can run UF in conduit.

But just to make sure, maybe you should try MMS'ing the electricity to your email first.
itll be fine for fly, but running UF in conduit is not recommended (firstoff, becuase its a pain in the ass, and second because you have to derate it based on conduit fill.

Both those problems can be solved by just running 2 inch conduit.

itll be fine for fly, but running UF in conduit is not recommended (firstoff, becuase its a pain in the ass, and second because you have to derate it based on conduit fill.

Both those problems can be solved by just running 2 inch conduit.
Yeah, I assumed his DTs would prevent running it in anything smaller.

• Haha
Reactions: fly
It will obviously be fine for me, but just seems dangerous for whoever owns the place after me. :iono:
I don't think anyone excavating to a depth of 12" will have any less trouble with a piece of PVC than a direct bury wire.

Besides, what are they going to do, electrocute themselves? That's what breakers are for.

I don't think anyone excavating to a depth of 12" will have any less trouble with a piece of PVC than a direct bury wire.

Besides, what are they going to do, electrocute themselves? That's what breakers are for.
Assuming they know its there. GFCI BLAH BLAH BLAH. Just seems crazy to me.

However, based on all your responses, I'll just direct bury it.

I'm just imagining someone dying of being electrocuted while rototilling the weed patch, instead of being torn to shreds by the rototiller tines.

It's a funny mental image. Kinda like someone standing very close to a very high cliff edge, and then dying because an asteroid fell on them.

Made and installed a cap for the plenum in my attic. It was formerly hanging from the roof jack where the swamp cooler was installed.

Bent it up on my sheet brake (including cross-braking), cut the plenum away from the roof jack after nailing it to the truss, installed S cleat around the hole, then finagled the cap into it, sealed up the corners and edges with duct mastic, screwed #10 self tappers around the edges, aluminum taped the whole thing, and then stuck some R7 insulation around the whole shebang.

Feels like I lost about 10 pounds of water weight, but I'm pleased with my work. It's at least as good as the work the AC guys did with the cap on the top of the roof jack (which is going away when the new roof comes next week), and I trust my work more than the roofing company's work thus far.