Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

If they don't like the litter box, I doubt the LR would be welcoming. We have the LR3, but the 4 is out now. You have a 90 day no-risk trial though, so I suppose its worth a shot.
Man, working in returns for them has gotta suck.
Non-zero chance that multiple people have shipped a thing full of cat litter and shit.

Man, working in returns for them has gotta suck.
Non-zero chance that multiple people have shipped a thing full of cat litter and shit.
@AppleTurkey works in specimen management at the reference lab in town, and apparently lots of people send in stool samples mushed around in ziploc bags.

There's a reason she's getting out of that job.

Awesome deal on some Ryobi gear if you're in that battery system

Although not the most powerful, having a battery powered miter saw is super super handy. Jigsaw is basically a freebie.

Although not the most powerful, having a battery powered miter saw is super super handy. Jigsaw is basically a freebie.
304065926_2285470198269570_257869288847897734_n.jpg

• Gravy
Reactions: ZRH

The deals are straight up dumb sometimes
1/2" impact

1/2" impact with battery

Fucking $60 off.
WTF.

The deals are straight up dumb sometimes
1/2" impact

1/2" impact with battery

Fucking $60 off.
WTF.
As a former HD employee. Home Depot around sales usually puts stuff up for their price. Most of their profit is on accessories. You can get power tools at price. The bits and shit are where the profit is. They are marked up like 90%. Impact sockets cost like .50c wholesale. You buy them for $3 each. Batteries are like $10, people buy them for $70.

Hardware (includes tools) was always the most profitable dpt at my store. I worked in lumber and building supplies so we pretty much sold stuff at cost. The big big thing was to sell installs.

Dpt leads are also compensated based on quaterly sales in addition to base so... like you see something with a ding ask for a markdown because it's purely about moving shit out of the building.

Last edited:
No doubt Milwaukee is better, although my personal preference is still metabo or Hitachi gear. But the pure variety of battery operated stuff that Ryobi has is amazing. And the tools aren't bad they're just quite average
Keep in mind, I'm the only person with 1000ft of power cord. I prefer corded for carpentry.

The saws are absolute garbage, they are severely underpowered, I got handed a 6 1/4 circular saw once with a fresh blade and everything and it took SOOOOO long to cut through dimensional lumber when my corded skil had never bogged down. Drills are ok if you are tightening stuff but they dont last if you have to bore a hole for every wire in a house. Not sure about impact wrenches, The outdoor power tools are mostly garbage. The mower overheats and the weedeater is basically garbage.

I think I made a post about renting a gas weed eater and just solving the problem in like 10 minutes because the stuff I was given didn't work correctly.

I like Hitachi nailguns... I miss my brad nailer.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
Around 3 volts in copper 12.

I feel dirty I could do that in my head...
maybe you shouldnt do it in your head.

12ga, 124v, 10a load drops a whopping 33.54% at 1000 feet. Output voltage of 85ish volts, same as open neutral

edit: stranded wire.

maybe you shouldnt do it in your head.

12ga, 124v, 10a load drops a whopping 33.54% at 1000 feet. Output voltage of 85ish volts, same as open neutral
You're right. I forgot one part of the equation. It's on three reels. I've never tried it all at once before I just meant that's what I have. Most of the time you dont go over 200ft but you have three tools...

Like someone always has a generator available or a recitfier running they van.

• Gravy
Reactions: Domon
i have a bunch of 100 foot 12ga cords, and i cant run my heavy shit off them. Anything that pulls more than 12A is no go.

i think its the stranded, and the insulation doesnt help, because I can obviously pull 20A through 12/2 UF no problem.

I can actually pull 40A if i want to..... MWBC, but i try not to.

i have a bunch of 100 foot 12ga cords, and i cant run my heavy shit off them. Anything that pulls more than 12A is no go.

i think its the stranded, and the insulation doesnt help, because I can obviously pull 20A through 12/2 UF no problem.

I can actually pull 40A if i want to..... MWBC, but i try not to.
So an aside, my father was an expert in power distribution and copiers... I mean like, I grew up with a collection of EE books I probably should have read but since everyone fucking dies on me it's someties hard to place things into context.

40 amp would probably pop the breaker. Easier just go 240.

Ill be honest, right now its just got extension cord ends on it :p... as it has for the past 5 years.

My intent was to do a 2x20a mwbc, but as you noted, 240, 20 to a subpanel is also viable. Although I have to check code for sub-panels off subpanels.

My dad lost a finger probably 10 years ago when he was holding a cord out of the way of a circular saw, and the saw hauled the cord (and his finger) into it. And I've personally managed to cut the cord off a circular saw two or three times now. I can fully understand wanting a cordless one.

I don't use a circular saw enough to justify buying a non-corded one.