Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

WTF you read it all? :lol: When can I get my HVAC?
Yeah. It depends on your "state energy office", so it's all installed stuff after the enactment, but they have until Sept 30, 2031 to pay out all funds.

It also says they are going to distribute rent up to small area fair market value for people earning less than the AMI but I' not holding my breath.

It all seems very pie in the sky type shit you'll need a lawyer to navigate.

Last edited:
Yeah. It depends on your "state energy office", so it's all installed stuff after the enactment, but they have until Sept 30, 2031 to pay out all funds.

It also says they are going to distribute rent up to small area fair market value for people earning less than the AMI but I' not holding my breath.

It all seems very pie in the sky type shit you'll need a lawyer to navigate.
I can only assume that my $9k HVAC estimate will change to a $17k estimate sometime next year.

• Gravy
Reactions: Domon and Jehannum
mine blows cold air... but cant keep up if the outdoor humidity is above 80%, and cant get the house below 75 in any scenario. Thats probably repairable, butin general its just a shitty install. Ductwork to the upstairs is less than half the volume it needs to be. My hope would be that I could leverage this incentive to get some mini-splits.

Do you not understand the reason for these incentives? Or are you being obtuse for funzies?
I understand the reason. I just think most of it is going to get eaten up by corporate landlords. There is a part in there about multifamily homes, you could get more if you made your house into a duplex. It will take YEARS for this all to filter down to retail consumers if it does at all with inflation.

mine blows cold air... but cant keep up if the outdoor humidity is above 80%, and cant get the house below 75 in any scenario. Thats probably repairable, butin general its just a shitty install. Ductwork to the upstairs is less than half the volume it needs to be. My hope would be that I could leverage this incentive to get some mini-splits.
You have a tract home I guess. They normally undersize the upstairs ductwork, and here I thought you had a cool brick house in downtown bethesda. They also dont install big enough compressors. The installation cost of a minisplit, I think in MoCo you have to have an outside disconnect is gonna run you. I know in Howard we made bank installing disconnects for minisplits.

Of course you could do it all yourself but when they ask for receipts?

You're from New England, go with the New England mini-split, a window unit that's "weatherproofed" with some old kitchen towels and that length of foam they sell you for $6.

You have a tract home I guess. They normally undersize the upstairs ductwork, and here I thought you had a cool brick house in downtown bethesda. They also dont install big enough compressors. The installation cost of a minisplit, I think in MoCo you have to have an outside disconnect is gonna run you. I know in Howard we made bank installing disconnects for minisplits.

I do not. 1925 house that had ductwork shoehorned in after the fact.

Not a cool brick house in bethesda though, old farmhouse.

Which makes it extra annoying, because all they had to do was make the plenum frame-out about 6 inches bigger and it would have been so much better. Still not good, but better.

800 sqft upstairs has 1 return, and 4 air ducts. Return is a big 24x24 in the central hall.... but its fed by a single 6x8 rectangular coming up from the basement, so its functionally a 6x8..... minus inefficiencies due to flex duct. Same with the 4 8 inch registers.. fed by a 6x8.

So functionally, for 800sqft ive got a 4x6 at best return... and 4 3x4 supplies

I've thankfully already got the outside disconnect for the current unit. And i dont think AAco requires em anyway, but if they did, or I need to do two condenser units, i can do that shit myself. Ive got a subpanel I can shutoff, and also a service disconnect so I dont kill myself.

I understand the reason. I just think most of it is going to get eaten up by corporate landlords. There is a part in there about multifamily homes, you could get more if you made your house into a duplex. It will take YEARS for this all to filter down to retail consumers if it does at all with inflation.
It will certainly not take years dude.

It will certainly not take years dude.
Ah blind trust in the government. You really don't think isn't going to benefit corporate landowners per capita more than you? The way it reads, you are going to get 80% the installation which is NOT the acquisition.

Ah blind trust in the government. You really don't think isn't going to benefit corporate landowners per capita more than you? The way it reads, you are going to get 80% the installation which is NOT the acquisition.
That's not how I read it, nor is that how its being reported (ie. how others read it). And I really couldn't care less who it benefits MORE.

From what I read, it really isn't. Now, how quickly the states implement, this will be crucial. However, I don't see this process taking YEARS.
Yeah you have cause FL is known for it's excellent implementation of government plans... Like... Are you literally high? They cancelled food stamps mid pandemic.