Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

Theres some weirdness with it not being applicable until after Dec 31, 2022. I dont fully understand it. I think what i means is that the rebates wont be available until then... which makes total sense cause thats when taxes are done, but its possible that it means that you cant do any work or make any purchases until after that date.
I'll totally be keeping an eye on it, to try and get it in before the HVAC companies start their monkey business. In fact, maybe I'll get some quotes this week for comparison.

I'll totally be keeping an eye on it, to try and get it in before the HVAC companies start their monkey business. In fact, maybe I'll get some quotes this week for comparison.
yeah, if it turns out its at signature, then its definitely worth getting quotes now that are good for a month or so so they dont inflate by exactly the rebate amount.

Well after making fun of DeWalt on the craiyon thread, I pulled my dewalt leaf blower out of the shed where it's been sitting all winter with a battery on it and no go. Figured the battery was dead, put on a new one, still won't work.

<2 years old, made in 2020, 3 year warranty, and I have no idea where the receipt is and the local service center won't touch it without one.

Fucks sake.

Well after making fun of DeWalt on the craiyon thread, I pulled my dewalt leaf blower out of the shed where it's been sitting all winter with a battery on it and no go. Figured the battery was dead, put on a new one, still won't work.

<2 years old, made in 2020, 3 year warranty, and I have no idea where the receipt is and the local service center won't touch it without one.

Fucks sake.
That's super shitty. Reach out to DeWalt on social media?

That's super shitty. Reach out to DeWalt on social media?
I called their 1-800 line and they said "yeah it goes back to the tool date of manufacture if you don't have a receipt"

Called the service center back, they told me to bring the tool in... but they're pretty sure that it won't be covered, because the manual tells you to take the battery off the tool when you're not using it.

Guess we'll see what happens come Tuesday when I bring it in.

Fucks sake.
I'll touch it for you daddy

But seriously most power tools aren't complex. You could pop it open and hook the battery to the motor and see if it's dead.

I'll touch it for you daddy

But seriously most power tools aren't complex. You could pop it open and hook the battery to the motor and see if it's dead.
It's got a BLDC motor in it, it'll have a brain box calculating all the drive signals and shit to run it.

I've got my suspicions the guts of the thing weren't conformally coated, and condensation killed it. I guess I'll find out.

• Gravy
Reactions: Domon
@fly you figure out yet if the inflation reduction act purchase period yet? It's gonna be law Monday if not already. I found one article saying it applies to purchases this year, but it wasn't authoritative

@fly you figure out yet if the inflation reduction act purchase period yet? It's gonna be law Monday if not already. I found one article saying it applies to purchases this year, but it wasn't authoritative
Biden hasn't signed it yet, but is supposed to do so this week. I've got an estimate for HVAC replacement this week. I'll wait to see how it all pans out. If it starts in 2022, at least I'll have estimates on the books to negotiate from. Lemme know if you hear anything else too plz!

edit: Actually the details of it start here on page 587. It reads to me like its a rebate from the installer. That sorta sucks.

Oh wait, I see we'll need guidance from our state first. Well this is gonna take forever.

Last edited:
There's something about electric service upgrade rebates in the bill as well I was reading. Going form 100amp to 200amp. So people can use more electric shit that uses clean energy.

Because all electricity in this county is from clean sources.

You can pry my gas stove from my cold dead hands.

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh
There's something about electric service upgrade rebates in the bill as well I was reading. Going form 100amp to 200amp. So people can use more electric shit that uses clean energy.

While better than coal, fracking isn't exactly 'clean'. Nothing is, except maybe fusion some day.

Biden hasn't signed it yet, but is supposed to do so this week. I've got an estimate for HVAC replacement this week. I'll wait to see how it all pans out. If it starts in 2022, at least I'll have estimates on the books to negotiate from. Lemme know if you hear anything else too plz!

edit: Actually the details of it start here on page 587. It reads to me like its a rebate from the installer. That sorta sucks.

Oh wait, I see we'll need guidance from our state first. Well this is gonna take forever.
So I read the whole thing... Um we are hiring 87,000 IRS agents?

Update: I brought the leaf blower into the DeWalt service center today, circuit board was burnt up in it.

So they gave me another one.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly