Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

Got one of these:

5e58467707af5b12552c4402_5.jpg

Its actually damn good. Heats up to temp in like 35 seconds, completely portable, and the temp dial appears to be accurate within 20 degrees. I put some hash marks just at even spacing between 400-900 and it can hold a temp, even with a heavy heat sink really solidly.

Ive never had a nice temp controlled iron at home, but ive used plenty of 300 buck digital hakko's at work, and from a feel perspective, this feels like the hakko in terms of performance.
Does it take any kind of standard tip, or hakko 900 knockoff tips or something?

@kiwi is North of Phoenix, so IIRC, the freeze line is the same as it is where I live, around 18".

She doesn't have to worry about it because she doesn't own the place, not because there aren't any codes regarding freeze depth.
Yea. We’re at like 2500 ft elevation. Rarely gets below 20 degrees. It snows a couple times a year but doesn’t stick. The freeze line def isn’t deep.

Took off a register in the ceiling of my office because the operating lever had been sheared off and I needed to open it, and peeled back like a whole square foot of the popcorn ceiling.

But now my office smells like PB Blaster, so I've got that going for me.

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh
They are here trying to figure out my water problem and even though I woke up this morning to a puddle, running the sprinkler system now isn’t recreating it so they think I’m crazy.

They are here trying to figure out my water problem and even though I woke up this morning to a puddle, running the sprinkler system now isn’t recreating it so they think I’m crazy.
Maybe one of your brood is peeing on the floor to fuck with you, and they're just really well hydrated.

So landlady called me cause she's had a problem with mud on the outside basement stairs...

Right next to it is an addition that used to be a porch, now it's her bedroom. I took off the siding and it's just dirt. So there is a whole ass pad sitting on dirt that makes up the left side of the basement stairs. So I was like ok... Spray the hose on the roof above it. Leaks like a sieve. I'd torch the house for the insurance money. She says she's gonna hire some mexicants to fix it.

So I've had a ton of meetings lately and have somehow missed a couple of them. Home Automation to the rescue!

I now have HA Automations that announce over Alexa T-15 minutes and T-1 minute for meetings. And I just set this up too. When my laptop unlocks, it tells me if I have a meeting in the next 24 hours and what time.

1659122044177.png

• Gravy
Reactions: Domon
Well someone unclogged the toilet. So I've got that going for me. I fucking hate doing anything with plumbing. Always end up covered in shit.

And to think the PO had the gall to sign off that they'd pigtailed the plugs on the disclosure form.

Fucker installed a bunch of copper outlets on aluminum wiring.

IMG_20220730_082822399.jpg

Oh well, onward and upward, another two plugs replaced, and only one tried to kill me.
IMG_20220730_082813377.jpg

And to think the PO had the gall to sign off that they'd pigtailed the plugs on the disclosure form.

Fucker installed a bunch of copper outlets on aluminum wiring.

View attachment 16319

Oh well, onward and upward, another two plugs replaced, and only one tried to kill me.
View attachment 16318
You can do that if you use the grease. At least they didn't stab them. Also how much goddamn power are you pulling through those outlets. Like 3 amps max is ideal on a 15 amp circuit.

You can do that if you use the grease. At least they didn't stab them. Also how much goddamn power are you pulling through those outlets. Like 3 amps max is ideal on a 15 amp circuit.
The highest draw item on that circuit is a laser printer. The other things are: 2 zwave single outlet switches, two lamps, and a BHyve hose-end dripper wireless adapter. There was nothing plugged into that outlet, the side screws were loose.

Backstabbing it would probably have worked, since there's an automatic tensioner inside the plug, rather than the screw.

Last edited:
The highest draw item on that circuit is a laser printer. The other things are: 2 zwave single outlet switches, two lamps, and a BHyve hose-end dripper wireless adapter. There was nothing plugged into that outlet, the side screws were loose.

Backstabbing it would probably have worked, since there's an automatic tensioner inside the plug, rather than the screw.
Honestly that's a lot of shit. I know it doesn't run continuously but the heating and cooling probably worked the screws loose. Stabbing will pop out on the cheaper outlets, it's strictly no go for commercial stuff.