Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

@Jehannum @Mean Mr. Mustard @Mr. Argumentor

If ya'll had to pick a wood substitute with similar strength for a surface what would you pick? Building a pool surround for a small pool for the kiddos. Think overmount sink, but with a small kiddie pool. Pool supported from underneath

Requirements:
Weather and waterproof. Not too much worry about UV
Strength to support 75ish lbs
Scratch resistant

I have a bunch of UHMW around, but that seems like overkill, and a bunch of PVC board as well, but that PVC board aint structural, its pretty weak compared to wood.
Oh don't ask me. Pshhh.

If ya'll had to pick a wood substitute with similar strength for a surface what would you pick? Building a pool surround for a small pool for the kiddos. Think overmount sink, but with a small kiddie pool. Pool supported from underneath

Requirements:
Scratch resistant

I have a bunch of UHMW around, but that seems like overkill, and a bunch of PVC board as well, but that PVC board aint structural, its pretty weak compared to wood.
If wood isn't an option, I'd probably support the PVC in some metal L frames, and put some non-slip stuff down on the wear surface.

Seems overkill when you could just use wood, though.

I originally had specced black locust for rot resistance, but am acclimating to more synthetics these days.

Yeah. It looks like shit in 10 years is all I'd caution.

That's not been my experience with Trex. It's looking fine on my parents' deck (in place since 2002). They periodically wash it, and don't do a whole hell of a lot else.

The only spot it does look bad is where my dad grills, because he left the damn grill on for 2+ days, and it melted the rail behind it.

That's not been my experience with Trex. It's looking fine on my parents' deck (in place since 2002). They periodically wash it, and don't do a whole hell of a lot else.

The only spot it does look bad is where my dad grills, because he left the damn grill on for 2+ days, and it melted the rail behind it.
Do they live somewhere dry? It's a composite and MD is humid af and it starts to decompose.

Most decks to last here are a tropical hardwood that I can't remember the name of ATM. It's reddish colored.

Do they live somewhere dry? It's a composite and MD is humid af and it starts to decompose.

Most decks to last here are a tropical hardwood that I can't remember the name of ATM. It's reddish colored.
yes, they live here in New Mexico.

I imagine you're probably thinking of Ipe.

Last edited:

ipe. Ipe is great, as long as you're not a saw blade.

• Haha
Reactions: Jehannum

Requirements:
Scratch resistant

As said already, Trex or similar most likely. If i couldn't go with wood.

My new bass will have a (fairly thick) spalted maple top. Light swampash body. So much fucking birdseye on the maple fingerboard! Abalone purfling and ebony binding. Very fucking poofy. I can't wait! Also it's 18v active with an EMG EXB expander. Chances are I'll bypass the circuit every show until ear fatigue sets in. Then I just wank switches until I can hear myself in the mix.

I got my sister's art (her undergrad degree was in photography) and hung it up in the office/guest room, right alongside my kids' art.

Finally framed and hung my diplomas as well. All three of the fuckers. Got one more art to hang, but the room is looking more and more like a room instead of a catch-all storage closet with a desk in it.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly