Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

@Domon You seen any of these for presence detection? I'm thinking of picking up a couple to try out.

i do all mine via machine vision, so no need.
i have seen them though, they appear to be mains powered which might restrict placement.

@Domon You seen any of these for presence detection? I'm thinking of picking up a couple to try out.

Huh, I have almost all the stuff for that in my bin-o-shite. I'll whip a few together and run them to MQTT and see what they do.

So our dryer isn't working very well. I was hoping it was just that the duct needed cleaning, but it seems not. Now I've got to tear the fucker apart. :|

I had everything except those, and I wanted to try a different presence sensor, since mine are all tricked by ceiling fans.
theres really only a couple of options for presence sensing. BLE tokens work, but you need at least 3 per room for positioning. RFID tagging on the doors works well... but then everyone has to carry a tag. IR sensing for generic presence is sometimes still the best for high-latency sensing.

theres really only a couple of options for presence sensing. BLE tokens work, but you need at least 3 per room for positioning. RFID tagging on the doors works well... but then everyone has to carry a tag. IR sensing for generic presence is sometimes still the best for high-latency sensing.
mmwave is clearly better than IR

We're installing a lanai. Lucy's tax refund is burning a hole in her pocket. We're literally the only house in the HOA whom didn't order the lanai to be purpose built with the rest of the house. We're The Poor's on the block.
Lucy has had contractor quotes from 7 grand to $17,000. The 7 grand is an unlicensed undocumented butch Guatemalan chick. Yeah I see no liability issues there lol.
Mostly I'm staying out of it. Not my circus, not my clowns. If she fucks up the permit and approval well at least I didn't fuck it up.

• Haha
Reactions: Jehannum and fly
We're installing a lanai. Lucy's tax refund is burning a hole in her pocket. We're literally the only house in the HOA whom didn't order the lanai to be purpose built with the rest of the house. We're The Poor's on the block.
Lucy has had contractor quotes from 7 grand to $17,000. The 7 grand is an unlicensed undocumented butch Guatemalan chick. Yeah I see no liability issues there lol.
Mostly I'm staying out of it. Not my circus, not my clowns. If she fucks up the permit and approval well at least I didn't fuck it up.
I believe you mean "screened porch", but good luck with that.

I'm spending $17 Gs on a new (steel) roof, plus another 4 to have a manufacturer-blessed contractor come and take my solar panels off and reinstall them afterwards.

I believe you mean "screened porch", but good luck with that.

I'm spending $17 Gs on a new (steel) roof, plus another 4 to have a manufacturer-blessed contractor come and take my solar panels off and reinstall them afterwards.
Sorry bro. Look on the bright side tho. Our Zestimate will go way up on Zillow. And the Tax Fuckers will re-asess (sic) the crap out of us once all is said and done. More equity, higher taxes.

Sorry bro. Look on the bright side tho. Our Zestimate will go way up on Zillow. And the Tax Fuckers will re-asess (sic) the crap out of us once all is said and done. More equity, higher taxes.
Doesn't your shithole have a reassessment ceiling? It's 3% per year here (unless you buy or sell, then it's on whichever is higher, the purchase price or the assessed value).

Makes the cunty assessor's job a real breeze, I reckon.

Doesn't your shithole have a reassessment ceiling? It's 3% per year here (unless you buy or sell, then it's on whichever is higher, the purchase price or the assessed value).

Makes the cunty assessor's job a real breeze, I reckon.
Last time I owned a house they didn't even do visual assessments they just pulled sales for similar homes in the area and had a formula unless you appealed.

• Gravy
Reactions: NukesII
@Jehannum @Mean Mr. Mustard @Mr. Argumentor

If ya'll had to pick a wood substitute with similar strength for a surface what would you pick? Building a pool surround for a small pool for the kiddos. Think overmount sink, but with a small kiddie pool. Pool supported from underneath

Requirements:
Weather and waterproof. Not too much worry about UV
Strength to support 75ish lbs
Scratch resistant

I have a bunch of UHMW around, but that seems like overkill, and a bunch of PVC board as well, but that PVC board aint structural, its pretty weak compared to wood.