Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

You keep saying that, but I've seen nothing except your assurances that this is actually a true fact.

Citation:

Ive spend the past couple days setting up a nginx+cloudflare setup for access to all my stuff remotely. Bought a domain for the first time ever in my life (immediately regretting my choice after having to type it 72 million times recently).

Ive got Authelia doing independent authentication and authorization in front of every app. Behind authelia ive got

Home assistant
Unraid
Radarr
Sonarr
NZBget
Tautulli
a while bunch of other Arrs

So now i can just navigate to unraid.mydomain.com or ha.mydomain.com and get there. No ports, no messing about with ssl per app instance.

Took a bit to setup, but now i can add new subdomain/app mappings in about 1 minute per if needed, and have way more security that I never did before.
I was looking into this, but isn't a VPN easier?

all of it running on unraid too.

Ive only got a couple of things holding me back from buying unraid now. For some reason im getting stupid high cpu usage from my vm running home assistant. It just randomly consumes 30-40% of the cpu for long periods. I created a new vm with a clean install to test whats causing that.

The other one bugs me. despite the GPU doing transcode, something is still raping the CPU when i use plex. to the point where it spikes all the cores to 100, and the plex stream... and all the dockers crash out.
Bought a key. Both problems here fixed with one solution.

Converted the debian HA supervised install over to HassOS, and rebuilt my configs from scratch rather than importing. Something had gotten really bloated in my process of learning, and my configs are wayyyy simpler now that im hosting most stuff outside the HA instance in its own hypervirtualized dockers, rather than using HA as a docker instance.

This reduced VM usage to nearly nothing, and at the same time the HW acceleration streaming problem went away too. Itll spike to 40% for maybe 10-20 seconds at the start of a stream, and then it stabilizes out to 6-8% per 4k stream for the duration of the stream, just like it should.

I had to tell Sonarr and Radarr to stop downloading dolby vision releases though. DV doesnt play nice with anything, including my direct stream setup as my receiver and tv only support HDR10.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly and Jehannum
Some dumbshit previous owner used an "EGO" brand burner in my stove, but didn't fix the issue (a dickey 1/4" spade connector that wasn't tightening down on the terminal), now I have to fix the harness under the stovetop (the 1/4" spade is basically melted dust now) and replace the burner.

Terminal:
IMG_20211215_185441970.jpg

Burner:
IMG_20211215_185445911.jpg

Got an OEM replacement on the way from Sears by next week.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly and wetwillie
Like 140Ws of that is hard drives, 5 watts a drive.

They spin down sometimes... but not often due to automation and cctv writes.

Wow, that's quite a power budget. I'm over 1000KWh for a couple months in the summer, but the other 9 months, I hang around 600KWh.
It does feel artificially high, and the reason i installed the sensors was to try to chase down why.

everything is on target though. That electric use for furnace is all just the blower motor. The water heater is a hybrid heat pump model

Im pretty consistently at 1300kwh per month, no matter if its summer or winter.

id have to go down to 20kw a day to get down to 600.

Without the water heater and compute id be right around that limit.

It does feel artificially high, and the reason i installed the sensors was to try to chase down why.

everything is on target though. That electric use for furnace is all just the blower motor. The water heater is a hybrid heat pump model

Im pretty consistently at 1300kwh per month, no matter if its summer or winter.

I know it's probably not in the cards for you with your oil-burner, but the variable speed motor in my furnace uses less power than the old 1HP blower in my old furnace, and it's even nicer not to get blasted in the face at 5AM every day with hot, dry air from the vents.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
I know it's probably not in the cards for you with your oil-burner, but the variable speed motor in my furnace uses less power than the old 1HP blower in my old furnace, and it's even nicer not to get blasted in the face at 5AM every day with hot, dry air from the vents.
I actually thing they did offer a variable speed unit for mine. My ductwork suuuuuucks, especially upstairs. Its all flex duct and the air just barely blows out of the vents at the far end of the vent.

• Sad
Reactions: wetwillie