Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

@fly you using the beta "my servers" things for unraid yet? Its basically nabu casa for unraid.

Unraid doesnt have any reverse proxy equiv like ingress for HA thats baked into it though, so if you access the unraid GUI via My Servers you cant get to any internal docker WebUIs cause they point at 192.x.x.x addys.

@fly you using the beta "my servers" things for unraid yet? Its basically nabu casa for unraid.

Unraid doesnt have any reverse proxy equiv like ingress for HA thats baked into it though, so if you access the unraid GUI via My Servers you cant get to any internal docker WebUIs cause they point at 192.x.x.x addys.
Haven't tried it. I have VPN if I really need to get to Unraid.

• Gravy
Reactions: Domon
Speaking of this, I finally got Alexa contextual routes working. So when I'm in the living room, I can say, "Alexa, set the fan to high" and it sets the correct fan.

:bast:
that doesnt just work by itself if you have the device assigned to the right room the alexa is in?

that doesnt just work by itself if you have the device assigned to the right room the alexa is in?
I *think* you can do that with some devices if you setup rooms in Alexa. But it is not as feature complete as this. Also, to my own detriment, I refuse to have automations outside of HA. It was a nightmare when things went wrong back in my ST days.

Also, finally got around to replacing the wheels on our sliding glass doors. Holy shit is that nice.
timmy burch GIF by South Park

Ive spend the past couple days setting up a nginx+cloudflare setup for access to all my stuff remotely. Bought a domain for the first time ever in my life (immediately regretting my choice after having to type it 72 million times recently).

Ive got Authelia doing independent authentication and authorization in front of every app. Behind authelia ive got

Home assistant
Unraid
Radarr
Sonarr
NZBget
Tautulli
a while bunch of other Arrs

So now i can just navigate to unraid.mydomain.com or ha.mydomain.com and get there. No ports, no messing about with ssl per app instance.

Took a bit to setup, but now i can add new subdomain/app mappings in about 1 minute per if needed, and have way more security that I never did before.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
Well that's pretty neat.
all of it running on unraid too.

Ive only got a couple of things holding me back from buying unraid now. For some reason im getting stupid high cpu usage from my vm running home assistant. It just randomly consumes 30-40% of the cpu for long periods. I created a new vm with a clean install to test whats causing that.

The other one bugs me. despite the GPU doing transcode, something is still raping the CPU when i use plex. to the point where it spikes all the cores to 100, and the plex stream... and all the dockers crash out.

all of it running on unraid too.

Ive only got a couple of things holding me back from buying unraid now. For some reason im getting stupid high cpu usage from my vm running home assistant. It just randomly consumes 30-40% of the cpu for long periods. I created a new vm with a clean install to test whats causing that.

The other one bugs me. despite the GPU doing transcode, something is still raping the CPU when i use plex. to the point where it spikes all the cores to 100, and the plex stream... and all the dockers crash out.
BTW, they are apparently very generous about trial extensions, if you think you need one.

That's weird about the transcodes. Are you transcoding 4k? If you are, knock it off. :p

of course i fucking am. 4k HDR atmos :D
Then you're violating the Golden Rule of Plex. Don't transcode 4k.

1. Don’t bother transcoding 4k
  2. If you cannot direct play 4k, then perhaps you should not even be collecting 4k.
  3. If you don’t have the storage space for a copy of both 4k and 1080/720, then perhaps you should not even be collecting 4k.
  4. To avoid transcoding for remote and non-4k clients, keep your 4k content in separate plex libraries.
  5. This may of course mean that you keep a 4k copy and a 1080/720 copy, but if you are collecting 4k content then you should not be worried about storage space, should you?

Then you're violating the Golden Rule of Plex. Don't transcode 4k.
ahem. The golden rules have been amended.

NOTE: for 2021 – Plex has come a long way since this FAQ was originally written, HW transcoding has become more available and more stable, and tone mapping was recently added to address the hdr/sdr color conversion issues.

The first 4 ‘rules’ generally are no longer as important as they once were, but may still be a good thing to bear in mind.

:p

BTW, the list came from the (constantly updated) trash guide. And the problems you're reporting are exactly the problems you'd have from transcoding 4k, right?
not really. Quicksync should handle a fuckton of 4k transcodes just fine.