Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

I called some AC parts place and the guy spent at least 30 minutes on the phone with me walking me through troubleshooting. I *think* it was that the compressor overheated during a brown out/power surge that we had. Either way, the caps haven't been replaced and are old af, so I'm totally buying them from him.

It's so refreshing when you meet nice people, especially in something like the HVAC industry.

I called some AC parts place and the guy spent at least 30 minutes on the phone with me walking me through troubleshooting. I *think* it was that the compressor overheated during a brown out/power surge that we had. Either way, the caps haven't been replaced and are old af, so I'm totally buying them from him.

It's so refreshing when you meet nice people, especially in something like the HVAC industry.
That is very cool(hah!). It makes sense - dude isn't doing service so why shouldn't he help you get to the parts you might need. Fingers crossed for you.

I have a chest freezer that we use as a beer fermenter. It has stopped cooling well. It can only cool it to about 75F and seems to run constantly. Is there anything I can do? I'm guessing not.
So I finally got around to plugging this thing directly into a wall outlet. I can hear it running, but it barely cools. Safe to assume I'm fucked?

I just bought a new one, as it was $6. No love. Anything else? :(
fuuuck, not good.

Follow this diagnostic guide

Plenty of youtube videos that walk you through the same thing. I get the feel you're not comfortable with a multimeter yet. No time like the present to learn.

the start relay is user-servicable

after that, yep, not much point

• Gravy
Reactions: fly