Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

very nice. One of my put-off projects is a 20x20 in the clamshell trex basics. Lumber prices are almost sane again, so that might be a fall project

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
very nice. One of my put-off projects is a 20x20 in the clamshell trex basics. Lumber prices are almost sane again, so that might be a fall project
Thanks. Yeah, lumber is all over the f'n place. As is availability. In this area HD carries this pressure treated "Primetm" crap. It's PRime crap from what I've seen so far.. idk.

Thanks. Yeah, lumber is all over the f'n place. As is availability. In this area HD carries this pressure treated "Primetm" crap. It's PRime crap from what I've seen so far.. idk.
in my region, home depot is good for everything but lumber, and lowes is good for lumber and nothing else.

dunno if thats still true after the big supply chain shakeup

• Gravy
Three months ago, I got 2x4x8PT for $12/ea. The other day, I got 4x4x12PT for $12/ea. Yeah, things are getting back to normal.

edit: Got from Lowes. HD was shit.

• Gravy
Three months ago, I got 2x4x8PT for $12/ea. The other day, I got 4x4x12PT for $12/ea. Yeah, things are getting back to normal.

edit: Got from Lowes. HD was shit.
I've got HD and Lowes about 1/2 mile apart - I shop both. Lowes has a less red-neck crowd . . . probably double the number of masked shoppers ;)
I paid $9.54 for 2X4X8 today. HD was the winner today.
I created a mess at Lowes the other day(never any help there). I needed more mesh for cement but the whole stack seemed fucked. Well yes, numerous people tried to pull some loose while it was still wired together and under the lowest shelf. I got so pissed at the thing I manhandled the entire fucking pile out from under the shelf, walked over to hardware and grabbed some snips. Went back, unsnipped the binding wire and straps, threw the bent up pieces all over the fucking place. Employee comes up "WTF". "WTF is you folks haven't sold any of this in months because nobody could get to it. You can clean up this mess."

I have a chest freezer that we use as a beer fermenter. It has stopped cooling well. It can only cool it to about 75F and seems to run constantly. Is there anything I can do? I'm guessing not.

I have a chest freezer that we use as a beer fermenter. It has stopped cooling well. It can only cool it to about 75F and seems to run constantly. Is there anything I can do? I'm guessing not.
freezers are pretty darn simple. Usually an access panel on the back that exposes all the guts. You can check the run capacitor and the thermostats and test the compressor. If the compressor is done, your'e done, but the other parts are easy fixes.

If it's running constantly, either the compressor isn't compressing, or you've developed a refrigerant leak somewhere.

freezers are pretty darn simple. Usually an access panel on the back that exposes all the guts. You can check the run capacitor and the thermostats and test the compressor. If the compressor is done, your'e done, but the other parts are easy fixes.
The walls are cool, but again, only about 70F. I guess I should verify if the compressor is running constantly. When it's running, it seems like it's running in low power mode.

i had a freezer doing that when I accidentally put it on 220v rather than 110 :D

I doubt you've done that, but it might be worth checking your outlet quickly as well.

Fly, I'm assuming your home is about 70. So the walls just feel cool because they are metal. THe cord is fine if it was fine before - 20' ain't that far. My guess would be the thermostat/thermocouple unit isn't turning the compressor on. And your walls are cold than the room from the shit in the freezer? idk, just tossing ideas out there. BYpass the thermostat, see if it runs.

JUST poured and floated my last section of the patio. GOnna go stamp that prick in 20 minutes or so.

Fly, I'm assuming your home is about 70. So the walls just feel cool because they are metal. THe cord is fine if it was fine before - 20' ain't that far. My guess would be the thermostat/thermocouple unit isn't turning the compressor on. And your walls are cold than the room from the shit in the freezer? idk, just tossing ideas out there. BYpass the thermostat, see if it runs.

JUST poured and floated my last section of the patio. GOnna go stamp that prick in 20 minutes or so.
It's outside, and way hotter than 70f. Do you really think I couldn't figure out what was going on if the freezer was 70 and so was my house? :lol:

• Gravy
IMPORTANT UPDATE: in the month of July, I only under-produced with the solar by 300KWH. So, I'm actually eating into that renewable energy credit with the power company with our fancy refrigerated air. I expect May, June, July, and August to be the months we under-produce, the only real question I have is whether the shorter days in the other months will keep the bubble high enough to float or if I'll eventually exhaust my banked KWH.