Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

I dont do too much viz, mostly just automations triggered off events and databases of historical data for when i want to make a query. But heres someone elses

e3af1324788ad2c5110c1a2df54a7a79c468c8be.png

I dont do too much viz, mostly just automations triggered off events and databases of historical data for when i want to make a query. But heres someone elses

e3af1324788ad2c5110c1a2df54a7a79c468c8be.png
Does it have the capability to tell which way the electricity is flowing on a circuit?

I have a 40A breaker in my main panel that's a feed from my solar PV array, it would get real wonky real fast if it were measuring the electricity I generate (which then largely goes out to the grid) as energy use.

Does it have the capability to tell which way the electricity is flowing on a circuit?

I have a 40A breaker in my main panel that's a feed from my solar PV array, it would get real wonky real fast if it were measuring the electricity I generate (which then largely goes out to the grid) as energy use.
youd just tag that breaker as input in the app..... yes, it needs an app, so its probably not good for you

The Emporia Gen 2 Vue monitors renewable energy net metering out of the box, giving you clear measurements of how much energy is being returned to the grid (and saving you money). With the 50A sensors, you can also monitor your energy generation in real time and historically by the minute, hour, day, week, month, and year.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: fly
It doesn't just shit out MQTT packets onto the network and do local configuration?

Well shit you're right, it's not for me.
unfortunatly not. The dev team seems awesome though, and tends to work on customer requests and people have definitely been asking for local only.

If you want that, you want iotawatt, which is more expensive but completely open

So my lawn mower guy passed away and I cannot find any lawn mowing companies in the area who have availability due to staffing issues. No trailer to buy a mower so yeah really stuck. Ugh.

So my lawn mower guy passed away and I cannot find any lawn mowing companies in the area who have availability due to staffing issues. No trailer to buy a mower so yeah really stuck. Ugh.
:( that sucks man. You've got a LOT to mow too dont you

What kind of automations?
mostly alarm triggers (high electric use warnings, freezer hasnt drawn power in x hours, sump pump running too often), but also a fair share of triggers (laundry cycle done, amp load drops, blink lights)

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
Like 2 acres. I think it took my mower guy like 3 hours with his zero turn mower. I think his mower had a 60" wide deck. Darn those mowers are not cheap. Used ones going for at least $1000 and they're beaten and rusted to hell.
we have a 60 inch ztr and about an acre, takes maybe 40 minutes, but its all flat. And yeah, paid 1200 for it and its old and beat (but commercial, a Scag), so the hours i put on it at the house will be a drop in the bucket compared to its lifetime.

If you've got long straights, you can fly in a ZTR, its the turning that makes it slow

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Like 2 acres. I think it took my mower guy like 3 hours with his zero turn mower. I think his mower had a 60" wide deck. Darn those mowers are not cheap. Used ones going for at least $1000 and they're beaten and rusted to hell.
We mow about 2 acres of our 3.5 and yeah, close to 3 hours with a 54" ZTR - granted, we bag and dump the clippings, mulching/dropping would cut some time.
There are a few online places that will freight you a new mower in a week-10 days - that's how we got the this one.

Cost - yeah, about $80/inch.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Considering out in the future building a new house in the lot we're on. We're in an ideal location within a couple of acres where most houses are on 1/10th of an acre lot. Surrounded by 1M dollar houses on half the acreage we have.

Our current house on the lot is a beater. Its old, its limited in its space and capability to do an addition. Good bones, and was fine for me, or even me and peanut but a family of 4 could be a lot more comfortable with some more space and amenities.

Dont get me wrong, we're doing ok, and im glad to have a roof over our heads, so this would be a huge luxury to have a new place, but it would be nice.

Thinking about stepping up from 1400sqft or so so 3000ish with a basement (no basement currently). Would add room for an office, more storage, actually having closets (house is old enough not to have em), would allow each kid to have their own room. Oh. and a garage!

The biggest thing with our current space is always clutter. We try to have minimal stuff, but no matter how much we pare down, theres too much stuff for the space and it makes it feel blaaaaahhhhh.

"It's the turning on a ZTR that makes it slow"... still 100x faster to turn than my 1990 Murray with a clutch pedal and a 6 speed + reverse gearbox.

I struck a tree root this past weekend and fucked a spindle bearing in the mower. Swung by Princess Auto this morning and bought a couple new bearings, just finished pressing one into the spindle in the machine shop at work. Figured I'd bring the mower blades and sharpen them on the bench grinder... and holy fuck, I never realized how bent to fuck the blades are until I laid them flat on a workbench. No wonder the mower doesn't cut evenly.

So back to Princess Auto AGAIN after work for a couple of fresh new mulching blades.

While I was at PA earlier I also grabbed new kevlar deck/drive belts that were on special this week. I also picked up a choke cable which I'm gonna use to fix the oil consumption issue the old Tecumseh 12hp engine has, with a bit of help from this thing...

20210725_201315.jpg

• Gravy
  • Love
Reactions: wetwillie and Domon