Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

hey! turns out im not violating code, yay

Inspection ports do not have to be visible in your yard. You can have the port "hidden" in a plumbing box, and it can still be easily accessible for inspection.

Image of Septic port half cover
Image of Septic leachine cover

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
Cut off all the septic risers in the yard yesterday to make mowing easier. Clipped one last weekend and shattered it. They make mowing a big pain in that part of the yard, so bringing em down to ground level was long overdue.

Annoying things. Saved the part i cut off in case code inspection every comes by, I can bring them back up to the 8 inches above ground level height required.
They have to be above ground level? That's odd, they're usually sold in increments of height and most people try to stop at grade or below. The lids are supposed to be air/water tight. Maybe you're in a flood zone?

hey! turns out im not violating code, yay

Inspection ports do not have to be visible in your yard. You can have the port "hidden" in a plumbing box, and it can still be easily accessible for inspection.

Image of Septic port half cover
Image of Septic leachine cover
That's an inspection port for the field. Septic riser is to extend the lid on the tank upward.

You have to go periodically examine your shit pipes?

Praise Jesus for municipal sewers.
no. Last system went 50 years without inspection ports. But its nice to have em if you do have an issues, cause the alternative is digging a big hole to take a look vs unscrewing a plug. You've got a sewer pipe cleanout that serves the exact same function somewhere i bet

Ape's parents have an aerobic septic system with water sprinklers for their pasture. Pretty neat... shit. I'm sure they've been around forever, but I'd never heard of them until a couple of years ago.

I don't want the waspkiller to kill anything else. synthetic pyrethroids, which are generally the active ingredient in wasp sprays, will also kill other arthropals.
You can get this dust that gets into their joints and they eventually die.

edit: I think there's a non-toxic dust that basically suffocates them. I can't remember the name of it and cursory google searches didn't come up with it.

yeah diatomaceous earth can be super effective, I wanna say it shreds their exoskeleton and they dry out. there's also Neem oil. I'm going to see how the eucalyptus and citronella do over the next couple of days, and if they don't do the trick I'll try something new - I'm just hesitant to do anything that's likely to kill any & every arthropod that encounters it, there's lots of beneficial buggies around that I don't want to harm.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie and Domon
Yeah, trying to get my energy meter working. grrr
if yours isnt supported, Emporia gear is fantastic for circuit level (and whole house) monitoring. Ive got energy signatures for just about anything that consumes more than 100W now. Its data is granular enough that i can identify the precise device on a circuit.

if yours isnt supported, Emporia gear is fantastic for circuit level (and whole house) monitoring. Ive got energy signatures for just about anything that consumes more than 100W now. Its data is granular enough that i can identify the precise device on a circuit.
Mine is nothing that fancy. Just a couple of clamps on the mains.