Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

It's not real sod. Its some St Augustine with a shitload of weeds mixed in. I'm just looking for an easy way to get rid of the top layer.
Yeah, shave that shit off. They're not that big, a small one can stick out the trunk of a medium car or back of an SUV. I was kidding about the sod selling - some grasses can't be made into sod anyway. I'd suggest you lightly till and rake the top surface so your sod gets good contact/binding, the freshly shaved soil will not be a good surface. Nothing wrong with fertilizer other than the environmental concerns(if you're talking chemical/crystal stuff) - compost/humus isn't actually "plant food", it's just the absorbent shit that holds the good stuff in place. Plants can't absorb anything bigger than an element or simple compound. It's all "hydro" at some level.🤔

Last edited:
i have one too, the big 1 acre one, doesnt do shit for me, but i think i just have too many mosquitoes. I think fly says his works well.

What does work is the thermacell for a small area
We have like zero bugs and have a stream fed by a spring in the backyard. It's shocking! There's zillions of all variety of birds including those exclusive to the shore which I have to attribute this to. Also a metric fuck-ton of minnows in the stream eating all the mosquito larvae. Our backyard is heavenly

• Love
Reactions: wetwillie
We have like zero bugs and have a stream fed by a spring in the backyard. It's shocking! There's zillions of all variety of birds including those exclusive to the shore which I have to attribute this to. Also a metric fuck-ton of minnows in the stream eating all the mosquito larvae. Our backyard is heavenly
It HAS sounded and looked(from little we've seen), you are taking a low-impact approuch to your yard. You're not killing off the natural shit and the birds and possibly bats at night are taking care of it. I have no bug issues either despite several small lakes within 1 mile.
Bird-friendly: My neighbor has put up tons of birdhouses and feeders but cries to me "the birds are all in your yard." Yes, your husband went scorched fucking earth and killed everything that was taller than grass from edge to edge, the birds hate your yard. Unlike ours where I have fostered hundreds of trees, bushes,etc., AFTER I went scorched earth. To start fresh. :) Even the squirrels hate their yard - fully exposed for a few hundred feet? I suppose the hawks have to eat. 🤔

• Gravy
Reactions: JAXvillain
Stupid question time: how much would you ask for as compensation in the following situation?

The contractor that installed my HVAC didn't do it in such a way that it passed mechanical inspection. It wasn't a big deal (they needed to install a bollard in the garage so I won't run into the thing).

The irritation comes in that I called them 6 separate times (the Monday and Friday of each week since install, basically), was promised a follow up on each occasion, and got nothing.

The 4th time I called, I stayed on the line until the service guy showed up to install the bollard. He took a picture said to me, "easy peasy, the inspector will look at this picture I'm sending him, and mark the permit as inspected". Well, the inspector didn't, and they didn't actually let me know that it didn't get signed off.

Called again, they assured me that they'd schedule the reinspection, and that someone from their office would be there to take care of anything that arose. Day came and went, and I called them back (again), and they'd "forgotten" to schedule me.

I about lost my shit at that point, and escalated to the general manager, who promised me that the reinspection would happen, that he and another manager would be there, and we would discuss getting some money back to me. So, the reinspection happened, but nobody from their office showed, and when I called him back this morning, it was suddenly *my fault* that he didn't come.

Do I cut bait and find a different Lennox dealer to do any necessary maintenance, or should I continue to pursue this contractor?

Stupid question time: how much would you ask for as compensation in the following situation?

The contractor that installed my HVAC didn't do it in such a way that it passed mechanical inspection. It wasn't a big deal (they needed to install a bollard in the garage so I won't run into the thing).

The irritation comes in that I called them 6 separate times (the Monday and Friday of each week since install, basically), was promised a follow up on each occasion, and got nothing.

The 4th time I called, I stayed on the line until the service guy showed up to install the bollard. He took a picture said to me, "easy peasy, the inspector will look at this picture I'm sending him, and mark the permit as inspected". Well, the inspector didn't, and they didn't actually let me know that it didn't get signed off.

Called again, they assured me that they'd schedule the reinspection, and that someone from their office would be there to take care of anything that arose. Day came and went, and I called them back (again), and they'd "forgotten" to schedule me.

I about lost my shit at that point, and escalated to the general manager, who promised me that the reinspection would happen, that he and another manager would be there, and we would discuss getting some money back to me. So, the reinspection happened, but nobody from their office showed, and when I called him back this morning, it was suddenly *my fault* that he didn't come.

Do I cut bait and find a different Lennox dealer to do any necessary maintenance, or should I continue to pursue this contractor?
uhh. didnt you request the bollard rather than the more permanent curb?

uhh. didnt you request the bollard rather than the more permanent curb?
I just asked that they do the bare minimum that would pass inspection. They installed a section of rubber curb that did that.

edit: after an obscene amount of calling back and forth and wasting my time, they did that.

to answer your actual question though, installers are not always good maintainers. Find someone thats got a good rep for maintenance if your warranty allows it. My installer was terrible for mainetenence.

Cut. CUt like a knife, cut like a bad fart. What a cluster.F Sorry.

*Not seeing how this is a maintenance issue. The install isn't DONE.. I'm incensed for you - see, one summer I worked off/on for an appraiser and had to go check if tickets were actually signed off by the city on new builds. Nasty convos with builders. Threats of bodily injury to me. Oh dear. truly, I've seen assholes sign off on $50k rather than finish $10k of stuff. Mind boggling. I spread about 100 lbs. of grass seed at a commercial build once just so the bickering would end. My boss payed me.

I went back and asked them to remove the line item for "HVAC install: code compliance" for $183, then an additional $225 for the 3 hours of my time spent on the phone with their dumb asses not getting any calls back.

Get it or not, I'm cutting bait for maintenance and finding a different company.

I went back and asked them to remove the line item for "HVAC install: code compliance" for $183, then an additional $225 for the 3 hours of my time spent on the phone with their dumb asses not getting any calls back.

Get it or not, I'm cutting bait for maintenance and finding a different company.
that sounds reasonable.