Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

Seriously @fly - just looked at mine. i see this side of the house has one where that vacuum break is part of the valve.. The cap ends up on top if the spigot is facing down. And the cap screws on - I think it's fixable. But it ain't broken yet.

Honestly, I'd like your arrangement better then the all-in-one, if yours was repairable.
Overkill - people in cold places like MI use those to insure their freeze-proof spigot/valve can hopefully drain to the front, even if someone leaves a hose full of water connected and shit freezes. The valve portion will be relatively empty and not freeze.

never thought of that analogy. Probably because the last time I went snorkeling was 15 years ago.
tanks. Only other thing that comes to mind(now) is the pressure release on a pressure cooker. Not the best analogy - fly thinks those are just trendy bs for the masses. Or was that instant pots? :D
I've never gone legit snorkling, only surface snorkle masking. Would be cool AF to do somewhere pretty - no so much in cold ass Michigan.

tanks. Only other thing that comes to mind(now) is the pressure release on a pressure cooker. Not the best analogy - fly thinks those are just trendy bs for the masses. Or was that instant pots? :D
I've never gone legit snorkling, only surface snorkle masking. Would be cool AF to do somewhere pretty - no so much in cold ass Michigan.
whats legit snorkeling vs on the surface only?

You vacuum break is broken(seal is shot most likely). It's suppose to seal when you turn on the hose, then relax and let the build-up out when you shut off. So your hose doesn't exploud in the FLorida sun. Sorry if exploding hoses gets you triggered - no other way to put it. :)
i thought they prevent backflow from the hose into the water supply

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
whats legit snorkeling vs on the surface only?
Longer tube, better one way so you aren't slowly filling your mask with water. :lol: I've used one, just in a nasty, abandoned gravel pit. We were looking at the abandoned cars at the bottom, k. The short tube one are for kiddies. I'll opt for swimming googles if that's how it is.

Last edited:
So we're gonna put down sod in our side yard. I should just be able to rent a sod cutter to rip out the old shit, right?
This is how I've always seen it done:

I've never actually put sod down on a yard though, just seed, so I'm probably full of shit.

@fly is the the side of the house you can never grow shit on? Id get a soil test and check compaction too

Good to know your substrate is good before you risk laying sod that could die