Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

Got my power bill after running the new AC and heat for a whole month and... we used 40-ish fewer KWH than April 2020.

Fuck me, I though I was going to eat into that 6500KWH overage. Guess we'll see how it shakes out when it actually gets hot. The variable duty blower motor is fucking amazing at 1) being real quiet, and 2) keeping the house at a steady temperature.

Got my power bill after running the new AC and heat for a whole month and... we used 40-ish fewer KWH than April 2020.

Fuck me, I though I was going to eat into that 6500KWH overage. Guess we'll see how it shakes out when it actually gets hot. The variable duty blower motor is fucking amazing at 1) being real quiet, and 2) keeping the house at a steady temperature.
You should have bought a less efficient one :lol:

Peanut got me some 915mhz gear for longer range comms that integrates into home assistant. Weather station and a couple of soil moisture sensors. About 5 minutes to set them up and drop them into HA. Soil moisture sensors will interface with the sprinkler system and the garden drip irrigation to water when needed. Should be super handy

Ecowitt brand stuff. Simple, but effective.

Id like to get a rainfall gauge next.

@Josh you have a weather station dont ya?

• Gravy
  • Love
Reactions: fly and wetwillie
Peanut got me some 915mhz gear for longer range comms that integrates into home assistant. Weather station and a couple of soil moisture sensors. About 5 minutes to set them up and drop them into HA. Soil moisture sensors will interface with the sprinkler system and the garden drip irrigation to water when needed. Should be super handy

Ecowitt brand stuff. Simple, but effective.

Id like to get a rainfall gauge next.

@Josh you have a weather station dont ya?
We went over this recently. My Ambient Weather one is awesome.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Anyone know what this is on one of our spigots? It has holes out the back, so it shoots water that way if you connect a hose. Also, I can't get it off.

A0MDSoY.jpg

YtALA38.jpg

I understand what those words mean, but why is it there? It prevents me from using a hose.
You vacuum break is broken(seal is shot most likely). It's suppose to seal when you turn on the hose, then relax and let the build-up out when you shut off. So your hose doesn't exploud in the FLorida sun. Sorry if exploding hoses gets you triggered - no other way to put it. :)

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum