Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

Gotta remember.... with the exception of jenkums high school horn blowing skills, none of us can hold a tune in a bucket. This stuff can be learned, ya'll musical fuckers have natural talent

Ill admit I was a great drummer. Thank you, it helps to think of positives.

I've got 24 ethernet and 20 RG6 cable drops that run to various rooms in the house.
yeah, if you wanna put all those in one raceway, you gotta buy the real stuff. I think i have 12 cat6 in the soffit and its about maxed out.

And RG6 is bulky as fuck.

what the everyliving fuck you need 20 RG6's for.

I'm not even sure anymore. Dropped it to cable in each of the rooms, runs back to amplifiers that head out to the antenna. Nobody has a TV, because I only have the one, and it gets serviced by xbmc and mythtv.
I get you. I ran 3-4 CAT5e (god help me why i didnt spend the little bit extra for 6....) to each room, and then on top of that, 4 LV 18ga 8 conductor wires, thinking id do LV distribution for echos and cameras and stuff.

And then after that, i ran 120v ceiling outlets to pretty much every location I had the LV.

So the 500ish feet of LV goes unused, and any place I actually need LV? I just run a POE converter to drop down the 48v 802.11af running on the cat5e to whatever voltage i wanna power.

edit: pretty sure the LV wouldnt have worked as expected anyway due to DC hating long runs, considering i was planning for 3.3, 5, and 12.

7ea11f47adb327c1730dbdb294b841d0a42cece1.png

Took a stupid amount of hand coding and hackery, but I finally have full control of almost all the features of my eufycam's in home assistant. I wish there was a "smart" camera that had an open API so you didnt have to fuck around like this. Took almost 400 lines of code to get them integrated.

• Gravy
  • Love
Reactions: Immigrant and fly
I ditched HA.

There isn't anything I can't hack into HomeKit with HomeBridge at this point.

Everything else is native.

I've ditched anything that went through the SmartThings hub.

Gonna dump the Insteon stuff very soon. Which is a damn shame. Insteon gave up on Homekit. But it's the most reliable and responsive stuff. At least it's only 4 switches.

I ditched HA.

There isn't anything I can't hack into HomeKit with HomeBridge at this point.

Everything else is native.

I've ditched anything that went through the SmartThings hub.

Gonna dump the Insteon stuff very soon. Which is a damn shame. Insteon gave up on Homekit. But it's the most reliable and responsive stuff. At least it's only 4 switches.
HA is too much damn work for 99% of people. The fact that i had to write code to group some lights into categories like "downstairs lights" eliminates 99% of users. That should be a GUI function, or even a drag and drop one.

HA is too much damn work for 99% of people. The fact that i had to write code to group some lights into categories like "downstairs lights" eliminates 99% of users. That should be a GUI function, or even a drag and drop one.
It is still very much for hobbyists. However, its seemingly gotten lightyears more mature in the short time I've been using it. Their month of WTH requests made a huge difference.

• Gravy
Reactions: Domon
It is still very much for hobbyists. However, its seemingly gotten lightyears more mature in the short time I've been using it. Their month of WTH requests made a huge difference.
blueprints are a huge step in the right direction for usability too. And its immensely flexible.

But smartthings in its heyday was immensely flexible too, but also wayyyy more user friendly. Groovy and custom smartapps were nerdy and shit, but literally cut and pasting in the code and having it work was the extent of making that work for most people. Then the smartapps had built in GUI based setup, setting changes, etc.

blueprints are a huge step in the right direction for usability too. And its immensely flexible.

But smartthings in its heyday was immensely flexible too, but also wayyyy more user friendly. Groovy and custom smartapps were nerdy and shit, but literally cut and pasting in the code and having it work was the extent of making that work for most people. Then the smartapps had built in GUI based setup, setting changes, etc.
ST is shit though compared to how powerful HA is. I suppose it's really its about choosing between power and simplicity.