Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

yeah.. I don't change my own oil for that reason. Though, I'd never pay anyone to do A/V shit in my house. Granted, I use the built-in speakers on my tv and I'm ok with it.
theres a distinct life event transition where i developed the "maybe its ok to let other people do shit" attitude, that fly wont ever have. Kids.

My time went from a negligible factor to the dominant one. Prior to kids i had time to do shit myself, and do it right. Now i have 45 minutes a day thats not spend working, with kids or sleeping. I just dont have time to do shit myself anymore, or if i do, to do it the quality standard i want.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly and wetwillie
A few shingles were ripped off the barn roof in the windstorm from a few days ago. Well, the tabs were ripped off. I lost a few in a windstorm ma couple years ago shortly after I bought my house. Prior owner had nailed through a bunch of the shingles to keep them held down. I think my house faired okay as there was a layer of ice on it.

theres a distinct life event transition where i developed the "maybe its ok to let other people do shit" attitude, that fly wont ever have. Kids.

My time went from a negligible factor to the dominant one. Prior to kids i had time to do shit myself, and do it right. Now i have 45 minutes a day thats not spend working, with kids or sleeping. I just dont have time to do shit myself anymore, or if i do, to do it the quality standard i want.
Agreed. And for some jobs you'd have to buy a number of tools and get totally educated on the shit - only to never do it again. And yes, let someone else make a buck. Particularly if their rate is less than yours.

I always weigh the time/cost benefit. I have changed the brake pads on every car I have ever owned and will probably continue to do so since 30 minutes of my time is worth more than the $200 a shop will charge.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
are you an actual provider to them being a client here? IE you're making a pitch? Cause your hackery shit wont fly if that the case.

Oh, just install home assistant and wrote code twice a day to make it work! dont worry, its easy
Of course not. Just a friend helping a friend with shit they don't understand.

Put a call in to the HVAC people to put a real AC on the house, help burn through that big ol' energy credit I have sitting at the power co. Since I grossly overestimated what my wife would be making this year at her job, and fucked up my witholding big-time, and now have a sizeable return.

Put a call in to the HVAC people to put a real AC on the house, help burn through that big ol' energy credit I have sitting at the power co. Since I grossly overestimated what my wife would be making this year at her job, and fucked up my witholding big-time, and now have a sizeable return.
you can spend your energy credit on hvac gear?

Also, if you've got nothing already, seriously consider mini-splits rather than ducted shit.

you can spend your energy credit on hvac gear?

Also, if you've got nothing already, seriously consider mini-splits rather than ducted shit.
My energy credit is in KWh, so there's no readily convertible way to "spend" it, except by increasing my electrical usage.

I already have a central furnace. Ol' Swampy is ducted in through the roof into the existing ducts.

I want to get rid of the swamp cooler, get rid of the vent stack through the roof from the garage (for the furnace's exhaust and makeup air), and PVC that shit through the wall out the side of the house, so that I have a minimum of roof penetrations.

The "minimum roof penetrations" is in order to make a cleaner installation of a standing seam metal roof (since my asphalt roof is getting ready to give up the ghost), and also make it easier to expand my solar PV array in the future.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
What cameras do y'all use? I absolutely do not want to pay a monthly fee to store anything in the cloud. I rather it dump to dropbox a gdrive. Or even my own system.