Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

is their hdmi already run? Unless they got fiber optic hdmi run, that shits not gonna be able to drive 4k. Its really fuckin hard to drive 4k hdmi more than 30ft.

You realize each of those is an option, correct? :wtf:
doesnt appear to be, it looks they they negotiated down over 3 months to something they could afford.

I suppose the question is what is their budget. 1k, 10k, 30k?

the sonos stuff is in the 5kish range, for 10-12 zones. but there are consolidated switch matrices that are industrial-awesome shit if the budget is 10k and up

doesnt appear to be, it looks they they negotiated down over 3 months to something they could afford.

I suppose the question is what is their budget. 1k, 10k, 30k?

the sonos stuff is in the 5kish range, for 10-12 zones. but there are consolidated switch matrices that are industrial-awesome shit if the budget is 10k and up
It's essentially four different tiers of service for them to choose from. And this is just the A/V stuff. Cameras and alarm are in other quotes.

It's essentially four different tiers of service for them to choose from. And this is just the A/V stuff. Cameras and alarm are in other quotes.
a big determination would be if their other home stuff (irrigation, alarm, etc) is elan. Elan does do fully integrated systems.

whats their goal here? Sure the Elan shit is a bit 2000s (after some research, theyre a bit better than most, not straight out of the 80s, at least 2000s modern), but it is a fully integrated super reliable system with some ability to automate.

First rule of system design:

Gather requirements. What are their requirements.

Is the goal to reduce cost, or increase functionality, or what?

whats their goal here? Sure the Elan shit is a bit 2000s (after some research, theyre a bit better than most, not straight out of the 80s, at least 2000s modern), but it is a fully integrated super reliable system with some ability to automate.

First rule of system design:

Gather requirements. What are their requirements.

Is the goal to reduce cost, or increase functionality, or what?
We're gonna meet at the house and go over their requirements. I get the feeling that they don't want anything complicated. They're essentially technology illiterate. For example, it took a couple tried for them to get Plex working. I already set the expectation that this company is likely offering a well designed and tightly integrated system. Anything we do will fall somewhere short of that, but will be MUCH cheaper.

We're gonna meet at the house and go over their requirements. I get the feeling that they don't want anything complicated. They're essentially technology illiterate. For example, it took a couple tried for them to get Plex working. I already set the expectation that this company is likely offering a well designed and tightly integrated system. Anything we do will fall somewhere short of that, but will be MUCH cheaper.
are you an actual provider to them being a client here? IE you're making a pitch? Cause your hackery shit wont fly if that the case.

Oh, just install home assistant and wrote code twice a day to make it work! dont worry, its easy

• Haha
Reactions: Jehannum