Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

HomePods and Sonos FTW. And it is "zoned" by room.

Family room has two HomePods in a stereo pair. Kitchen has two HomePod Mini's in a stereo pair. Three other rooms have Sonos One's. We have the Ikea Sonos speaker for the screened porch we put out when we want it.

I can tell Siri to play music in certain rooms, all rooms, main floor, second floor.

My office setup is separate, but the Denon receiver is Airplay 2 so it'll play along with everything else if I turn it on to that input. And it's got the record player.

The #MANCAVE setup doesn't have Airplay 2, or networking, so it's all by itself.

There's no good reason for pulling all that "whole home" speaker cable shit anymore.

You can buy a bunch of cheap ass Alexa shit and do your whole house "zoned" for less than a few hundred. Or HomePod Mini's for $100 each.

I threw a Bluetooth 30 pin adapter on an old iPod dock the gf had, stuffed it in the garage and paired it with the Google home mini I've got out there.

Not the hi-est of fi's, but it's a nice step up. And I can still go "ok Google Play smooth jazz in the garage" and it does.

HomePods and Sonos FTW. And it is "zoned" by room.

Family room has two HomePods in a stereo pair. Kitchen has two HomePod Mini's in a stereo pair. Three other rooms have Sonos One's. We have the Ikea Sonos speaker for the screened porch we put out when we want it.

I can tell Siri to play music in certain rooms, all rooms, main floor, second floor.

My office setup is separate, but the Denon receiver is Airplay 2 so it'll play along with everything else if I turn it on to that input. And it's got the record player.

The #MANCAVE setup doesn't have Airplay 2, or networking, so it's all by itself.

There's no good reason for pulling all that "whole home" speaker cable shit anymore.

You can buy a bunch of cheap ass Alexa shit and do your whole house "zoned" for less than a few hundred. Or HomePod Mini's for $100 each.
But you can also get much better quality speakers that won't go 'extinct'. And the cost of hard wiring for it when building a house is a rounding error.

I like playing Snake Jazz in the evenings.

Season 4 GIF by Rick and Morty

$80 for a JBL Flip 5, I carry it to whatever room I'm going to. Also plays music at work.

Imagine thinking you're winning by paying corps. to surveil you!