Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

Got my vent hood ducting installed yesterday. Always a bit hairy to cut a hole in the side of your house. Went ok though, all thats left to do is make a soffit to cover up the ducting.

• Gravy
Reactions: Valve1138 and fly
Mostly, maybe totally? What isn't working for you, other than your zigbee lock?

motion sensors are finicky, these ones. They keep timing out and dropping off the zigbee network

You have any luck with virtual devices @fly? I have an incoming webhook i want to trigger a binary sensor just to on off for logbook purposes. binary_sensor.lastmotion

You have any luck with virtual devices @fly? I have an incoming webhook i want to trigger a binary sensor just to on off for logbook purposes. binary_sensor.lastmotion
Yeah, got a few virtuals. You'd want to create an input_boolean for that. What's the issue? Why isn't in HA directly?

Yeah, got a few virtuals. You'd want to create an input_boolean for that. What's the issue? Why isn't in HA directly?

wyzecam motion detection webhook via IFTTT. Just need it to trigger an input_boolean for logging purposes. It shows up just fine in the event bus.

wyzecam motion detection webhook via IFTTT. Just need it to trigger an input_boolean for logging purposes. It shows up just fine in the event bus.
If you see the trigger in the event bus, you can use that to trigger an event in the logbook. Easy to do via Node-RED and probably via native HA automation too.

Here's a hacked up example:
Code:
[{"id":"f82934f2.1e74c8","type":"server-events","z":"a489511.f15f6b","name":"Wyze Button Event Supervisor","server":"61a3b09d.8395a","event_type":"IFTT.wyze","exposeToHomeAssistant":false,"haConfig":[{"property":"name","value":""},{"property":"icon","value":""}],"waitForRunning":true,"x":221,"y":640,"wires":[["82353cae.81564"]]},{"id":"82353cae.81564","type":"api-call-service","z":"a489511.f15f6b","name":"Write to logbook","server":"61a3b09d.8395a","version":1,"debugenabled":false,"service_domain":"logbook","service":"log","entityId":"","data":"{\"name\":\"Wyze 1\",\"message\":\"Motion triggered\",\"domain\":\"camera\"}","dataType":"json","mergecontext":"","output_location":"","output_location_type":"none","mustacheAltTags":false,"x":470,"y":640,"wires":[[]]},{"id":"61a3b09d.8395a","type":"server","name":"Home Assistant","addon":true}]

Gave in and ordered a structured media enclosure. Gonna get all my networking shit out of the attic and into a box.

Also trying to figure out the best way to get the server out of the living room, away from HTPC doodies, since it seems to me that I should be able to figure out front ends for kodi and/or mythtv on one of the several devices that are hanging around the TV now, and both of those should work just fine over the network.
Install Plex. :p

• Gravy
Reactions: Valve1138
If you see the trigger in the event bus, you can use that to trigger an event in the logbook. Easy to do via Node-RED and probably via native HA automation too.

Here's a hacked up example:
Code:
[{"id":"f82934f2.1e74c8","type":"server-events","z":"a489511.f15f6b","name":"Wyze Button Event Supervisor","server":"61a3b09d.8395a","event_type":"IFTT.wyze","exposeToHomeAssistant":false,"haConfig":[{"property":"name","value":""},{"property":"icon","value":""}],"waitForRunning":true,"x":221,"y":640,"wires":[["82353cae.81564"]]},{"id":"82353cae.81564","type":"api-call-service","z":"a489511.f15f6b","name":"Write to logbook","server":"61a3b09d.8395a","version":1,"debugenabled":false,"service_domain":"logbook","service":"log","entityId":"","data":"{\"name\":\"Wyze 1\",\"message\":\"Motion triggered\",\"domain\":\"camera\"}","dataType":"json","mergecontext":"","output_location":"","output_location_type":"none","mustacheAltTags":false,"x":470,"y":640,"wires":[[]]},{"id":"61a3b09d.8395a","type":"server","name":"Home Assistant","addon":true}]
the webhook is no longer working, despite having worked on friday, and no changes having been made :p

what you want is plex for kodi, and your myth-ancient-technology can work with a different kodi plugin

I don't want 3 layers of fucking plugins, man.

If there's a better alternative to myth as a backend that doesn't involve me buying some niche bit of bullshit hardware or cloud service, then put it out there. I've got two Hauppauge DVB cards that give me 4 OTA HD tuners, and I'm not that interested in changing those up.

thats one layer.

The base is kodi. The integration is plex.

It isnt even a layer really.

Your complaint is like an old person complaining their remote has too many buttons.

thats one layer.

The base is kodi. The integration is plex.

It isnt even a layer really.

Your complaint is like an old person complaining their remote has too many buttons.
No it's not. plex uses kodi as a plugin. kodi uses myth as a plugin, that's 3 layers.

It's not interesting to me because there's inevitably functionality lost between the layers.

you've got it backwards... and not right

Kodi is the base. For static files, movies and tv, you use the plex plugin for kodi
Kodi is the base. For live TV, you use the mythTV plugin.

Both have respective backends, plex media server and mythtv server.

It almost like you dont understand modern modular architecture and are stuck in monolith waterfall land.

• Haha
Reactions: wetwillie
you've got it backwards... and not right

Kodi is the base. For static files, movies and tv, you use the plex plugin for kodi
Kodi is the base. For live TV, you use the mythTV plugin.

Both have respective backends, plex media server and mythtv server.
You're right, I didn't read the links. The forum doesn't give me a lot of hope that it's useful as a plugin at all though.

It almost like you dont understand modern modular architecture and are stuck in monolith waterfall land.
However, this is ridiculous. Y'all act like I'm switching out of Kodi to use the awful MythTV front end, and not acknowledging that it's modular at all.

I did assume you were jsut using the mythtv front end, which literally looks the same as it did when i used it in 2005.