Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

Picked up some solar lights that fit onto standard mouth ball jars. Decent quality. Not sure what we'll do with them yet.

Amazon product ASIN B07PZ6TJNP
Big thing this year seems to be different colors and shapes in canning jars. Pear-shaped French style, red, purple and yellow glass. Some of those could be pretty cute. Google "alcohol ink" if you just want to do a quick tint job, that's what's on most colored booze bottles.

• Gravy
Reactions: Valve1138 and fly
howd you narrow it down to the greasy pots?
A few people on repair sites said they're a common problem, figured I'd pull and check them with a DMM between the wiper and an end terminal.

Sure enough, the mode control pot was glitchy. Gave them both the same cleaning though, and brown came out of both of 'em.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
The network and #MANCAVE gear is under some stairs in the basement.

Redid the network part a couple weeks ago. Put in a 4’ rack I had. Got everything organized. Removed the dead piece of shit APC UPS.

Now I’m putting the man cave stuff back in.

Have to make a bunch of 12awg banana plug speaker wires. I terminated all the speaker runs to a couple of new banana jack terminals instead of them laying on the floor haphazardly running into the receiver.

The wildcard is the 8x8 HDMI Matrix switch I bought in 2016. Used to need all sorts of video sources, and now one Apple TV gets the job done.

The switch started throwing random tantrums last football season. Its sat unplugged for a month. See if it works. If not, away it goes.

At this point, any 1x4 hdmi splitter would do.

• Gravy
Oven back together.

The electrical panel in the garage is (1) full and (2) sunk into an insulated wall, so adding a 240V outlet isn't a small task, so I just plugged the oven into the generator and fired it up.

... and immediately turned off my generator because the 'ol "Powerstroke 5000" is loud as shit and my neighbors are gonna hate me.

Last edited:
Oven back together.

The electrical panel in the garage is (1) full and (2) sunk into an insulated wall, so adding a 240V outlet isn't a small task, so I just plugged the oven into the generator and fired it up.

... and immediately turned off my generator because the 'ol "Powerstroke 5000" is waaaay and my neighbors are gonna hate me.

Put some tandem breakers in to free up slots if your panel will take them. Most do.

• Gravy
I'm not to the point where I totally understand how to implement all this yet, but talk about light years more advanced that SmartThings...

• Gravy
Reactions: Valve1138
I'm not to the point where I totally understand how to implement all this yet, but talk about light years more advanced that SmartThings...

I'm confused why you're comparing smartthings the platform to something that can be implemented in smartthings.

What do you mean by implemented in SmartThings?
Well, you get to use the raw output of an occupancy sensor in ST, so you could pretty easily implement a Bayesian approach to determining actual occupancy or not.

I could be totally off base, btw. I'm making wild assumptions about smartthings as a platform having any utility at all.

Well, you get to use the raw output of an occupancy sensor in ST, so you could pretty easily implement a Bayesian approach to determining actual occupancy or not.

I could be totally off base, btw. I'm making wild assumptions about smartthings as a platform having any utility at all.
It could certainly be implemented in Webcore, but there is nothing really OOB like that.

why would i need to infer bayesian data when i could just directly sense.

Put some tandem breakers in to free up slots if your panel will take them. Most do.
I can switch out the panel from an 8-slot to a 12-slot for less than the price of a tandem breaker, and I'd need two tandems.

I'd also have to buy a spool of 10/3, figure out where I want to put the new 240V outlet, etc... that's a project. So it'll be a gas powered oven for now :)

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer