Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

@Domon Setup a Home Assistant Docker container, inside Ubuntu, inside HyperV. :lol: It's got support for SmartThings, so you can easily import and control all your devices. I plan to start using it this way to figure all this shit out, then I can get a ZWave/Zigbee stick and migrate all devices local once I'm sure I can understand the platform.

Warning: The cloud stuff costs $5/mo after a free 31 day trial. They have instructions on how to do all of it for free, but obviously its more heavy lifting.

This is the walk through I used.

@Domon Setup a Home Assistant Docker container, inside Ubuntu, inside HyperV. :lol: It's got support for SmartThings, so you can easily import and control all your devices. I plan to start using it this way to figure all this shit out, then I can get a ZWave/Zigbee stick and migrate all devices local once I'm sure I can understand the platform.

Warning: The cloud stuff costs $5/mo after a free 31 day trial. They have instructions on how to do all of it for free, but obviously its more heavy lifting.

This is the walk through I used.
that seems like a whole lot of effort when you can do the whole thing in openhab2 on bare metal for free.

Well you read enough of it to get it wrong! :lol:

Eventually, my system will be all local and probably function similar to yours. Although, I'll probably pay $5/mo to be lazy and have internet (app) access.
I admit, I have the openhab Cloud Connector set up for google assistant integration.

For the most part, I really only use the app on the local network, which bypasses that entirely.

Though it is kinda cool to say, "OK google, turn on the living room lights".

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
Well you read enough of it to get it wrong! :lol:

Eventually, my system will be all local and probably function similar to yours. Although, I'll probably pay $5/mo to be lazy and have internet (app) access.
no remote access without paying 5 bucks a month? Super lame.

20082125Resized20200820212743.jpg
Scored a 10hp power fister off kijiji for 100 bucks, for the wood chipper.

Only issue is the wood chipping chute interferes with the engine, so I gotta remove it and use it as a shredder only.

If I could extend the PTO like 3-4 inches I'd be fine. Might be some good creative way to do it. Wish I could 3D print metal, I'd be set :)

Only issue is the wood chipping chute interferes with the engine, so I gotta remove it and use it as a shredder only.

If I could extend the PTO like 3-4 inches I'd be fine. Might be some good creative way to do it. Wish I could 3D print metal, I'd be set :)

dont need a metal printer to bend up a new chute. Or build an adapter plate that gives it enough clearance. Could probably print that.

by pto i assume you mean some sorta spline or keyed shaft? Super easy to put a shaft extender on either of those (shaft extender... heh)

There really isn't any good way to modify the chute. The new engine pretty much covers where the chute bolts onto the chipper body.

The ~25lb chipper flywheel hangs off the crankshaft on this thing so I can't have it flopping around on an extender. I suppose I could bolt a flange bearing onto the chipper body.

2nd issue is coupling the "return torque" back to the engine, so the body of the chipper doesn't twist up when the thing bogs down. Like I need a torque tube.

[Retelling of old story]
Got fucked on security by my LL but I was18 and moving to new city up the road. Sitting in shitter at work about a year later reading the paper and I see some guy got ran over in a school playground, in my old neighborhood. Dead guy is my old landlord. :happy::wtf:
Followup story - it was the Mexican dude who rented after me. Ran that asshole over with his own car. :fly:

I sold my house (first house we bought after moving here in ‘88) to a family whose daddy received a settlement and was in a wheelchair. A year later, the house burned down and it turns out his wife and kids left him with because he was a teurd, so he set it ablaze and then burned the piss out of himself after deciding he wanted to live, only to be arrested for arson.

Poor fucker.

Dude, you can't read either? Wtf :lol: I literally wrote that you could. I'd highly suggest you check it out. Easy way to see if you like it, and then migrate.
BTW, it's probably worth mentioning that Home Assistant is what tonesto uses in the hybrid scenario that I've described.

• Gravy
Reactions: Domon