Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

200819232Resized20200819102212.jpg
Success!

I printed the bushing larger than it had to be, and sanded it down to fit. Bearing is friction fit into the bushing (and the whole assembly is captive, the thing's not coming out) and the bushing is Loctite 609'ed into the bore.

Made up a punchlist for a 2br/2ba rental turnover and ended up with 32 things, lol.

It's really not that bad, just tedious little shit. You can run around the place with one set of things, like some spackle and touch up paint for example, and knock out a few things at once. I make my lists room by room so it also serves as a checklist for me so I don't miss something.

It does however show people's lack of attention to detail, especially when they live someplace and get used to seeing things as just the way it is. And how they don't think of stuff until the end and then say oh shit.

Cat take out a few slats from some window blinds? That's something anyone who's the least bit handy could find at home depot, or even Wal-Mart or habitat for humanity, and do themselves if they thought ahead. Same goes for the cheap little spring doorstops that go broken or missing, or filling and painting over holes from hanging pictures or curtains, etc.

Some of this stuff would've been done free of charge if they just called it in for a maintenance work order 3 months ago instead of waiting til now.
Hell, if they just said, "hey Hips, do you have the paint color codes for this place? I can take care of some of this stuff myself and get more deposit back". I would've told them they can have the codes if they want but I'd just give them a quart or two of mine for nothing and the owner'd be none the wiser.

Attention to detail folks, it matters. This is how otherwise good renters end up getting what seems like too much money taken out of their deposits for what seems like frivolous little things because they didn't think ahead or take care of simple things themselves and now they get to defacto hire it done.

They're still getting a grade A reference as they really are good folks and the important/critical/expensive stuff is just fine.
They're also getting a little life lesson from me on the down low about this stuff that may help them with future rentals...if they pay attention to detail.
What do you do for a living?

Made up a punchlist for a 2br/2ba rental turnover and ended up with 32 things, lol.

It's really not that bad, just tedious little shit. You can run around the place with one set of things, like some spackle and touch up paint for example, and knock out a few things at once. I make my lists room by room so it also serves as a checklist for me so I don't miss something.

It does however show people's lack of attention to detail, especially when they live someplace and get used to seeing things as just the way it is. And how they don't think of stuff until the end and then say oh shit.

Cat take out a few slats from some window blinds? That's something anyone who's the least bit handy could find at home depot, or even Wal-Mart or habitat for humanity, and do themselves if they thought ahead. Same goes for the cheap little spring doorstops that go broken or missing, or filling and painting over holes from hanging pictures or curtains, etc.

Some of this stuff would've been done free of charge if they just called it in for a maintenance work order 3 months ago instead of waiting til now.
Hell, if they just said, "hey Hips, do you have the paint color codes for this place? I can take care of some of this stuff myself and get more deposit back". I would've told them they can have the codes if they want but I'd just give them a quart or two of mine for nothing and the owner'd be none the wiser.

Attention to detail folks, it matters. This is how otherwise good renters end up getting what seems like too much money taken out of their deposits for what seems like frivolous little things because they didn't think ahead or take care of simple things themselves and now they get to defacto hire it done.

They're still getting a grade A reference as they really are good folks and the important/critical/expensive stuff is just fine.
They're also getting a little life lesson from me on the down low about this stuff that may help them with future rentals...if they pay attention to detail.
Sad h0w many folks are in IDGAF mode when they leave, yeah, at least fix the nail holes and modest shit you broke. However, there is always the spectre of "that landlord" - the one that fucks you on the deposit even if you did nothing but sleep there in a hazmat suit each night. "Carpet has impressions where bed sat" - $250. "Carpet is obviously dirtier around where your front door mat/rug was" - $250. "Waterstain in bathtub' - $250.

Sad h0w many folks are in IDGAF mode when they leave, yeah, at least fix the nail holes and modest shit you broke. However, there is always the spectre of "that landlord" - the one that fucks you on the deposit even if you did nothing but sleep there in a hazmat suit each night. "Carpet has impressions where bed sat" - $250. "Carpet is obviously dirtier around where your front door mat/rug was" - $250. "Waterstain in bathtub' - $250.

Plenty of those. Most of them really. Anything that involves a property management company for sure.

You pretty much have to find a private landlord who's still somewhat hands-on to avoid that. Or one who's absentee and has a go-between (like me) who knows what is just not giving a fuck/wrecking shit and what is normal daily living wear and tear.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
im not gonna fix small nail holes moving out of a place that gonna get repainted anyway, especially when i moved in and all the outlets, doorknobs, everything were just painted over.

That kind of stuff you go around and list on your move-in checklist. So it's recorded as being in that condition. So it's not on you upon move-out.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
[Retelling of old story]
Got fucked on security by my LL but I was18 and moving to new city up the road. Sitting in shitter at work about a year later reading the paper and I see some guy got ran over in a school playground, in my old neighborhood. Dead guy is my old landlord. :happy::wtf:
Followup story - it was the Mexican dude who rented after me. Ran that asshole over with his own car. :fly:

I got notices about that. Hopefully won’t fuck up any HomeBridge stuff.
thats an official integration, should be ok. Theyre basically just killing all community developed apps and device drivers (DTHs). Its becoming a closed ecosystem like nest. Lame

Then it affects me. I use a community app to interface stuff with the Apple stuff.
ah, its likely fucked. check the developers thread to see if theyve thought about it.

edit:
oh, its tonesto. They messed up bad, send a community wide email killed Echo Speaks (which is his) without even telling him. He's unlikely to develop anything in the new ecosystem.

ah, its likely fucked. check the developers thread to see if theyve thought about it.

edit:
oh, its tonesto. They messed up bad, send a community wide email killed Echo Speaks (which is his) without even telling him. He's unlikely to develop anything in the new ecosystem.
He said he was going to make Echo Speaks Lite. Also, I missed where they're killing all DTHs. Really?