Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

The ground underneath heaving and moving from wet/dry, freeze/thaw, etc.

Maybe dry enough there it doesn't get saturated? Idk.
Even here in Michigan that is hardly a worry for sections that small. Virtually every sidewalk, front walk and AC pad is poured like that here, most onto poorly or totally unpacked soil - let alone proper sharp sand or sand over gravel. No real issue with the heaving as long as the sections are kept under 5X5'.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
I gotta pour a slab for the air conditioner at some point, but man do i suck at concrete. The finishing step is where it all falls apart for me, i can never seem to get the aggregate to sink below the surface
The foam with stucco'd ones are cheap and quick - I did that last time. Some claim your AC lasts longer due to the pad absorbing vibration better than concrete. YMMV.
You're probably pouring a little too stiff, which makes it hard to float them down - with the float.
I thought you were part Italian - you're supposed to know this stuff instinctively. :p

Anyone needs a good portable air pump, this is a great deal

This one ranked the fastest inflator of all of them tested on Project Farm, and its great that it uses common batteries.

The portable 18v+ battery inflators are so much better than the 12v plugin ones, that extra 6 volts makes a huge diff in power

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh
The foam with stucco'd ones are cheap and quick - I did that last time. Some claim your AC lasts longer due to the pad absorbing vibration better than concrete. YMMV.
You're probably pouring a little too stiff, which makes it hard to float them down - with the float.
I thought you were part Italian - you're supposed to know this stuff instinctively. :p
ha, my relatives on that side were all stonemasons, mostly marble.

ha, my relatives on that side were all stonemasons, mostly marble.
I had a black neighbor come over one time'
and ask for a wheelbarrow and pickax, "I figured any decent Italian owns those." Why I AUGHTA!!! :mad:
meh, I kicked his ass on the yard wars. He'd be lucky if some of my Italian sweat rubbed off on him.:lol:

ha, thats some harry homeowner with a welder shit.

Honestly fine though, I wonder where those lower supports are going (mounted into the foundation below grade?
no idea! this one is old as hell and probably on its way out, fingers crossed it dies in the next month or so, otherwise it'll be outside the home warranty (which is technically up on NYE but it's already starting to get chilly here so I can't imagine it'll get much more use after August)