Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

I’ve got the color Hue lights in the #MANCAVE

Big fan.
Ya, I have zero interest in colors. Its annoying that the 'smart' is undone by someone simply turning them off. Some of them also make for terrible zwave/zigbee repeaters, which can't be turned off. And the few I have turn on full blast if the power goes out. At 3am. Fuck that.

• Haha
Reactions: Jehannum
Ya, I have zero interest in colors. Its annoying that the 'smart' is undone by someone simply turning them off. Some of them also make for terrible zwave/zigbee repeaters, which can't be turned off. And the few I have turn on full blast if the power goes out. At 3am. Fuck that.
they lose the last setting when they lose power? thats a terrible design

I said that about dimmers back in the day, and now i cant live without em.

We have a couple cheapy wifi color bulbs and honestly theyre helpful in certain situations.

The way I could see myself using em (although as noted, they dont work with smart switches, which is what i have everywhere :/) is for varying color tones of white. Bright white during the day, tending toward yellower in the evening, ability to crank em up to 6000k when you really need to see something clearly, etc

The bedside lamp at night is red so it doesnt mess up your night vision and blind you, and bulbs changing colors or blinking (most of em have a blink function) is a great notification option that is hard to miss even if you're not looking at the bulb.

At this point I'm not sure what I'm gonna do.

The way the engine fits on the chipper, not many other engines will fit on it without interfering with the chute for feeding bigger sticks. It's also got a 1" shaft and pretty much every other engine that's the same size has a 3/4" shaft.

Since the chipper flywheel hangs off the engine shaft, I don't think a 3/4" -> 1" shaft adapter is a good idea.

Maybe I'll just give up on the fuckin' thing.
chippers are cheap to free on most craigslist type things. Fuck that one and just get another if you need one unless its an especially big/nice one

reviving an old sprinkler system ive got here that i half-assed in a buncha years ago.

Heads were set too high, so theyre all snapped off. Gotta replace em all

Got one zone running, replaced all the heads in the second but they wont pop up, so im expecting i might have a burst pipe in that zone.

soooo, i think i figured this out.

Theres a fuckin sprinkler head under the playset we put in last year. Which has 12 inches of mulch, and a giant ass playset on top of it.

I have no idea how im gonna find/access that to cap it off. I might have to do the pipe in pipe thing and repipe out to the second sprinkler with 3/4 line inside the 1 inch line and tie it in there.

I gotta get a 2 inch hole from inside to outside. (sump pump drain)

I either gotta drill through a 12 inch fieldstone foundation, a 14 inch rim "joist" that happens to be a walnut log. or through 8 inches of sheathing/plank sheathing/rigid foam/clapboards/vinyl siding.

None of those are pleasant options. Im inclined to run a flex pipe through a groundhog hole in the foundation :p It has at least a 8 inch "dip" though.

and.... i went with the "easy" option which was the 8 inches of "sheathing/plank/fiam/clapboard/vinyl......

turns out it was actually "sheathing plank, 3 fuckin inches of concrete/clapboard/foam/vinyl". I made the hole after busting out my big SDS drill, but i destroyed my nice 2 1/8th inch forstner bit on the concrete before i realized it was there :( Thats like a 35 buck drill bit.

Tractor drag the play set out?
i put that bitch in the ground with hurricane screws. It isnt moving.

i have a 20 foot borocope, i dont think thatll be long enough to know exactly where the head is, but itll tell me where it isnt and i can limit my search area.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Anyone here done stair stringers? Got any tips beyond what I might have read on the internerts?

Gotta put the stairs back in that come off the deck directly to the yard.

Tore off the rotted shit last year.

Pretty straight forward. Stringers are all pre-cut pre-made these days. Always put a center stringer for extra strength even on short runs.

Pour a concrete base where the stringer sits down on the ground.