Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

Depends what you're trying to accomplish. For room darkening, cell blinds are the bomb. Cloth, mylar, airspace, mylar, cloth - no strings through the material so no light leaks. Vinyl is cheap, painted steel is more$$ and heavy. Wood blinds(horizontal) are in the middle on cost. Verticals give more light, horizontal more privacy.
The wife wants bamboo blinds. I think it makes the window look like it's been boarded up from the inside in preparation of a zømbie apocalypse. So I need to think of something to counter the bamboo idea.

She likes a lot of light. I like it dark af.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
The wife wants bamboo blinds. I think it makes the window look like it's been boarded up from the inside in preparation of a zømbie apocalypse. So I need to think of something to counter the bamboo idea.

She likes a lot of light. I like it dark af.
Painted wood horizontal blinds. Home Depot has them in white and will cut to size (width) for free - length you can do yourself, easy peasy. fairly dark when closed, nice light and privacy depending on how they're tipped.

• Gravy
Reactions: OOD
Painted wood horizontal blinds. Home Depot has them in white and will cut to size (width) for free - length you can do yourself, easy peasy. fairly dark when closed, nice light and privacy depending on how they're tipped.
Am I dreaming or are you reading & gravying posts from 4 years ago?

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
FYI for anyone else looking to refinance. Better.com has a deal right now with Amex. If you close on a refi, you get a $2500 statement credit and $0 appraisal fee. They don't have rates as good as LenderFi, but will match any rates.

Do any of you manly-types ever stop in an Ace Hardware?

When I was a yute, the one in lovely Benson (Omaha) had an Ace with creaky wooden floors and a huge wall of wooden drawers, and had everything you’d ever want. There was no such thing as a big box hardware store back then, the first being Handy Dan which came around in the late ‘70s/early ‘80s.

The one nearest my house (now) doesn’t have the wooden drawers or floor, but it has darn near the same vibe. I’ve never left there without what I needed or pissed off about something, and I can’t say that about Home Depot.

Yesterday, one of my older brothers texted a picture of a lamp part and said he was ignored at “all the stores I’ve been to” and I suggested Ace. He texted back later to say thanks and that he’d found what he needed. He also left calm.

Just curious. I know most folks rely on online shopping these days, and was compelled to ask.