Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

Finally got rid of the last of my Verizon MoCA gear by running coax from the ONT to the laundry room where the wifi router is. Frontier FIOS customer support is surprisingly based in the US and actually helpful. Took about 5 minutes over chat to get the ethernet port turned up.

Yay!

• Gravy
Reactions: Valve1138 and Domon
RIP MoCa.

Got new speaker wires run from my office built-ins under the stud walls for the surround speakers.

I left a pull line behind 4 years ago when I originally wired the office, so it was easy.

Now I have drill up into the stud bays and fish them up to where the speakers will be.

Also gotta drill some holes in the built-ins for the front speakers. As well as the outlet/hdmi pass through for the tv.

with Wifi6, you're getting to be right. My wired shit is getting outperformed by wireless.

Its still nice for POE though

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
my father in law ripped up the carpeting in the two non-master bedrooms, one of which we're pretty sure is the original carpeting from when it was built in the 70s. they swept up TWO FULL dustpans of dirt from under the carpet D: we're still going to put carpet in up there because it'll end up being cheaper than doing nice wood floors & rugs, and carpeting is just expected in a bedroom, but fuuuuuuuck I hate how gross carpet is

What's trending with blinds?
Depends what you're trying to accomplish. For room darkening, cell blinds are the bomb. Cloth, mylar, airspace, mylar, cloth - no strings through the material so no light leaks. Vinyl is cheap, painted steel is more$$ and heavy. Wood blinds(horizontal) are in the middle on cost. Verticals give more light, horizontal more privacy.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant and OOD
my father in law ripped up the carpeting in the two non-master bedrooms, one of which we're pretty sure is the original carpeting from when it was built in the 70s. they swept up TWO FULL dustpans of dirt from under the carpet D: we're still going to put carpet in up there because it'll end up being cheaper than doing nice wood floors & rugs, and carpeting is just expected in a bedroom, but fuuuuuuuck I hate how gross carpet is
Glue-less bamboo is cheaper than most carpet + pad. Installs quick.
yep, wall2wall filth.