Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

nah, im good.

website prices lie. Check brickseek

rather than explaining all this, im just gonna link the slickdeals thread

those are the 6'es, but the same logic applies for the 4s
Thanks. I got looking at some square recessed ones - think that might might fit the look of our kitchen better.
I need to pick up one of those ceiling drywall hole cutters that has the attached dust shield.

Saw the electrician on Ask this old house use one. Zero dust mess.
They sell those separately. "hole saw dust shield"

I bet you don't even have a single DeWalt tool, @Mustard Dispenser. Probably all Ryobi.

I do have a ryobi 12v cordless drill thats about 10+ years old, and finally on its last legs
I also have a ryobi benchtop band saw thats never let me down
I did once get conned into buying a ryobi gas powered weed eater that that thing was a total piece of shit

my next set of homeowner shit is gonna be ryobi. The one+ ecosystem is just so amazingly huge that thats worth it for the slight (very very slight) decrease in performance.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
main challenge for me is gonna be routing wiring between the joist bays. Ill either have to set it up so i have at least one light in every joint bay, or get real creative with a long drill bit

main challenge for me is gonna be routing wiring between the joist bays. Ill either have to set it up so i have at least one light in every joint bay, or get real creative with a long drill bit

Drill bits and drill bit extensions of varying lengths along with a right angle drill.

Bed there, done. that.

Drill the first joist. Then put the next bit in, then attach the drill to it.

You can get pretty far that way and if the bit is sharp the loss of torque won't matter as much.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Drill bits and drill bit extensions of varying lengths along with a right angle drill.

Bed there, done. that.

Drill the first joist. Then put the next bit in, then attach the drill to it.

You can get pretty far that way and if the bit is sharp the loss of torque won't matter as much.

coo coo. fiberglass sticks to pull the wires through?

• Gravy
Reactions: Valve1138
I saw that episode of Ask This Old House and that is a cool gadget indeed.

$30 is a frickin rip off though.
It is. Hell, you can find an adjustable hole saw that comes with one for that or less. I'm with mustard, generally not worth the trouble - I hold the vac hose in one hand, drill with the other. 6 0f one, 1/2 doz anuther.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
I saw that episode of Ask This Old House and that is a cool gadget indeed.

$30 is a frickin rip off though.
I tend to think that way about a lot of gadgets (in the kitchen as well), but I find myself using a right angle drill more than I expected since I bought it to drill holes in my Datsun.