Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

BTW, this is the box I bought, but it seems HEUG to mount. Is this the correct one for a weatherproof, surface mount, in-use box?

That looks like a pretty good one, yup.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
BTW, this is the box I bought, but it seems HEUG to mount. Is this the correct one for a weatherproof, surface mount, in-use box?

Yep, that's correct.

Yes. That'll do, pig.:p

It's stucco, so yeah caulk will be required.
Use one with lots of stretch to minimize damage to the stucco from errant bangs into it. Dap DYnaFlex or most any Door/Window caulk. Don't use bathtub/room caulk. Not designed for a lot of give. Synthetic rubber is generally the most flexible of all.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
Use one with lots of stretch to minimize damage to the stucco from errant bangs into it. Dap DYnaFlex or most any Door/Window caulk. Don't use bathtub/room caulk. Not designed for a lot of give. Synthetic rubber is generally the most flexible of all.
So you're saying @fly should avoid using the 60a durometer urethane he's been making dildos for sale on Amazon with for this application?

Had mice up in the attic. Got one of those battery powered mouse traps that zaps them when they go into it to eat the peanut butter.

Caught three so far.

I put the dead mice out front in view of the camera. The Fox came by after the snow we had and ate the last two.

Just put the third out.

• Love
Reactions: wetwillie
I may have just bought recessed lighting for the whole house on clearance.

Thank fuck can lighting is dead. The new stuff is just LED pucks. No j-box needed, direct connection, IC rated

All you've gotta do is holesaw the hole, flip the springs, and plug it in

A good part of my new house is recessed halogen.

And I have soooooo many light switches. Like I have 4 different light zones in the kitchen, controlled by 6 switches across 3 panels, and 3 of those fixtures are dimmable. The lighting in the basement makes even less sense.

And I have soooo many dimmers in my house. Like the lighting in every bedroom is a dimmer, bathroom lighting is on a dimmer. Outdoor outlets? controlled by a fucking dimmer. All the same style dimmer. Like I think whoever wired the house got a deal on a box of 100 dimmers and tried to use them all on this house.

I should do a walkthrough WTF tour of the house some day.

• Gravy
A good part of my new house is recessed halogen.

And I have soooooo many light switches. Like I have 4 different light zones in the kitchen, controlled by 6 switches across 3 panels, and 3 of those fixtures are dimmable. The lighting in the basement makes even less sense.

And I have soooo many dimmers in my house. Like the lighting in every bedroom is a dimmer, bathroom lighting is on a dimmer. Outdoor outlets? controlled by a fucking dimmer. All the same style dimmer. Like I think whoever wired the house got a deal on a box of 100 dimmers and tried to use them all on this house.

I should do a walkthrough WTF tour of the house some day.
dimmers......on outlets?

dimmers......on outlets?
Only on the outdoor outlets off the back deck. I'm guessing they did it because they had patio lights plugged into them that they wanted to dim.

There's a dimmer on the outdoor lights on the deck. And they're all non-dimmable CFLs and they freak out if you turn down the dimmer.

• Love
yeah, im on board with dimmers now. When i was replacing all my switches, i said "why would i ever want that".

I want that. Its super nice. dimmers are great

• Gravy
yeah, im on board with dimmers now. When i was replacing all my switches, i said "why would i ever want that".

I want that. Its super nice. dimmers are great
Approximately 60% of people can't use the dimmer in our guest bathroom properly. It takes about .5 seconds longer than a regular switch, which is apparently too long.

• Gravy