Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

Just use the calibration Offset feature of your programmable thermostat and game it so it reads 4-5 degrees warmer than reality(in winter). Then you can tell her "dammit woman, it's 75 degrees in here, we're not wasting money when I feel fine, put another layer on!" :lol:

• Haha
Reactions: HipHugHer and nukes
Just use the calibration Offset feature of your programmable thermostat and game it so it reads 4-5 degrees warmer than reality(in winter). Then you can tell her "dammit woman, it's 75 degrees in here, we're not wasting money when I feel fine, put another layer on!" :lol:

Perfect example of new tech being easily defeated by old tech.

ME-THERMPL__02356.1522780631.500.750.jpg

She'll claim it's broken and call a repair guy who will sell her on $4000 worth of new stuff you will be paying for.

• Gravy
  • Haha
Reactions: wetwillie and nukes
It might be? Seems really odd, and support has been great - but has given up on me.

* My dumb tstat works fine.
* My Nest will only work with the C wire disconnected.
* None of my three Ecobees have been able to turn on the fan (but can turn on the compressor).
So I finally figured it out. Once I cracked open the blower again, I knew what had to be the problem - just don't know why I didn't think of it before. The UV light!

Once I disconnected that light, everything worked fine. Now the question is, does that thing really do much good?

Anyone??

So I finally figured it out. Once I cracked open the blower again, I knew what had to be the problem - just don't know why I didn't think of it before. The UV light!

Once I disconnected that light, everything worked fine. Now the question is, does that thing really do much good?

Anyone??
yes. Those work.

Correct.

Actually, I just found out that you're supposed to replace it yearly. I've *never* replaced it. Could the bulb actually be causing issues?
sure could. Sometimes those things fail shorted Its an easy check with a multimeter.

It's just the manifold gauges and ports that are difficult to come by here.
Didn't bother with a full manifold gauge or anything. They're handy when you're debugging but not necessary if you're just installing.

Shit you need:
Vacuum pump (bought off kijiji) - came with 1/4" hoses.
4-in-1 tool with side port (Yellow Jacket 18985) - most expensive part of the endeavor, bought from a local HVAC shop. I highly suggest spending the money on a good tool here, because if it leaks, you're not gonna get the job done.
Micron gauge, attached to side port of gauge (bought off eBay)
1/4"M to 5/16"F valve adapter (hose to 4-in-1) and 1/4"F to 1/4"F adapter (micron gauge to 4-in-1)
Pipe cutting/flaring kit (Princess Auto)

Outdoor units come precharged with enough R410A for probably 6 or 10 feet of lines between the indoor units, if you've got a longer run then call a HVAC dude to add more.

There's a valve on the unit beside each of the two outside ports that holds in the refrigerant, and a 5/16" schrader service port that's on the hose side of the valves, 4-in-1 tool connects onto here.

Method:
- install the indoor/outdoor units, cut/flare and install the refrigerant lines going between the units.
- Connect 4-in-1 tool to service port on outdoor unit, pull the schrader valve out (keep in a safe/clean place!)
- Most people pressurize the outdoor lines at this point with nitrogen gas and use a pressure gauge and soapy water to check for leaks, saves a bunch of time but requires more equipment I'm too cheap to buy.
- Connect vacuum pump to 4-in-1 tool.
- Open valve on 4-in-1, pull vacuum until the micron gauge reads a low number. Close valve on 4-in-1. Reading on micron gauge will creep up as moisture evaporates and shit offgasses... or it'll creep up fast as hell if you have a leak.
- Repeat more vacuum pulls until the micron gauge holds steady for a half hour or so.
- Close 4-in-1 valve, use tool to reinstall schrader valve, disconnect the tool from the heat pump, and cap the service port.
- Pray to jesus you didn't fuck anything up, and open the refrigerant release valves.
- Power up the unit and hope for the best.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie