Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

I didn't have an inspector. The only thing I can think of is the sellers being obligated in SC to disclose any problems with the house. All I'm seeing down that road is the sellers claiming they had no clue and lawyer fees on my end.
Yep. That's all you'll get: "It was that way when we moved in, didn't ever touch it", and there's next to no way you will ever be able to prove shit.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer and OOD
I didn't have an inspector. The only thing I can think of is the sellers being obligated in SC to disclose any problems with the house. All I'm seeing down that road is the sellers claiming they had no clue and lawyer fees on my end.
Ah yes, forgot that. NExt stop - mortgage co., was there a home warranty?
Alternate answer: burn it down if you have replacement value insurance. Just don't get caught.:rolleyes:
This sucks. LIke hips said, might only be a few hours work for someone who is reasonable competent. I'd do it for pizza and beer except for the whole drive from Michigan thing.

• Haha
Reactions: OOD
+1 to "it'll all pass inspection now but if you change one thing you'll have to change all the things".
I'm pretty sure I am grandfathered in for most building/electrical codes for the time of the construction of the home. I'm in the county not city if that makes any difference. I know each state and county as different scenarios.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer

This^

You have to know about problems in order to disclose them.

"I didn't know"

Have to dig back through permitted work to show they knew.

Permitted work, lol.

• Gravy
Ah yes, forgot that. NExt stop - mortgage co., was there a home warranty?
Alternate answer: burn it down if you have replacement value insurance. Just don't get caught.:rolleyes:
This sucks. LIke hips said, might only be a few hours work for someone who is reasonable competent. I'd do it for pizza and beer except for the whole drive from Michigan thing.
The electrician quoted me 200 to figure shit out. I'm sure it will be less than 500 altogether. I fully expected to have problems like this going in.

@OOD - ok, back to the beginning. The 2 breakers is fine, just wonky. You've figured out most of the outlet/breaker relationships. You've got the 3 odd ducks of unknown use. May not be all that bad. Remember where you are at. Then take a deep breath and

NO U!!!

• Haha
  • Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer and OOD
What worries more than this electrical shit is my dopey ass dog figured out he can just hop over the fence. I was outside with him playing with my daughter and all of a sudden we can't find him. There he sat in the neighbor's yard looking at me like I did something wrong.

• Haha
Reactions: Immigrant
Water pipes are (were) metal things that have enormous area of contact with the earth.
There is no logical argument that says a (metal) water pipe doesn't make a good ground.
Hot water pipes are supposed to be connected to the boiler/heater by dielectric junction to prevent galvanic corrosion.

In practice that's often not the case, but that eliminates about half of the water piping in the house, if you're going for a good ground.

In general, it's a reasonable bet, as everything's supposed to be bonded to the house ground in any case.

• Gravy
@OOD - ok, back to the beginning. The 2 breakers is fine, just wonky. You've figured out most of the outlet/breaker relationships. You've got the 3 odd ducks of unknown use. May not be all that bad. Remember where you are at. Then take a deep breath and

NO U!!!

Sometimes this is the best way.

In the grand scheme of things these are small issues.
Take it upon yourself to see the place isn't going to burn down this month and just relax, keep things in perspective.

Water pipes are (were) metal things that have enormous area of contact with the earth.
There is no logical argument that says a (metal) water pipe doesn't make a good ground.
Plastic whole house filters - too many times people jumper across them with some POS piece of 12/14 ga. wire, if at all. Ground needs to be able to potentially carry ALL the house current at once. Otherwise if ground from the utility and/or ground-rod is lost it seeks out the next best "ground potential". Which may not be pretty. Water itself doesn't conduct electricity very good, you can't count on it carrying ground.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
What worries more than this electrical shit is my dopey ass dog figured out he can just hop over the fence. I was outside with him playing with my daughter and all of a sudden we can't find him. There he sat in the neighbor's yard looking at me like I did something wrong.

Stuff like this is way more important than that switch you don't know what it does.

• Gravy
Hot water pipes are supposed to be connected to the boiler/heater by dielectric junction to prevent galvanic corrosion.

In practice that's often not the case, but that eliminates about half of the water piping in the house, if you're going for a good ground.

In general, it's a reasonable bet, as everything's supposed to be bonded to the house ground in any case.

You're not roping me into this bullshit.

I "might" be entertained by a discussion on corrosion via dissimilar metals and "creep" with regards to aluminum wiring butt most likely not today my friend.

You're not roping me into this bullshit.

I "might" be entertained by a discussion on corrosion via dissimilar metals and "creep" with regards to aluminum wiring bit most likely not today my friend.
I use galvanic corrosion to tell me when it's time to replace the water heater.

However, it's starting on the hot leg of my new one already (which is an on-demand unit that should last 25+ years), which makes me wonder if maybe the hot water pipes aren't bonded to ground as they should be. :/

• Haha
I use galvanic corrosion to tell me when it's time to replace the water heater.

However, it's starting on the hot leg of my new one already (which is an on-demand unit that should last 25+ years), which makes me wonder if maybe the hot water pipes aren't bonded to ground as they should be. :/

Buy new shit, hook it all up, then wonder if ground is really ground, is how all the smarties do it.

thats a cheap electrician. Usually its 200 to even have them come out

I think he lives in a rather economically depressed area, as in they might be needing work instead of choosing work.

I remember hearing stories of freestanding houses for like 80k.