Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

When was it built?

Plugs that look like these

View attachment 10189View attachment 10190

are 220s for big ass window air conditioners. They wired that in some houses before central a/c was as commonplace as it is now.

110/120s that seemingly don't do anything could be from some previous rewiring, maybe diy off the books.

Same with the ones that control seemingly unrelated stuff in different parts of the house. Or that could be an electrician connecting stuff wherever there's room to make the load calc's work out right.

My bigger concern above any of that is the one that won't reset. Either the breaker itself is bad (cheap, easy to replace), or that breaker is doing its job because you have a short somewhere. Fix that shit first.
That's it. Window unit sounds right. I'll be sure to get that short/breaker looked at.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
That sounds nice. Albeit, 100a is kinda low for a whole house unless really tiny. *No 14kv inside your meter box. Two 120 hots and the ground supplied by the utility. Granted, it will supply a lot of amperage before deciding you are done. Do you trust that outside breaker more than the main breaker on the box or the same?
A double-pole breaker isn't merging anything. It's strictly a space saver doing the same job as two separate without the retardation of having to flip two breakers for one circuit. Which could lead to a deadly accident.
trust but verify. I always non-contact anything before working. It just nice to not have any part of the panel live while working on it

That sounds nice. Albeit, 100a is kinda low for a whole house unless really tiny. *No 14kv inside your meter box. Two 120 hots and the ground supplied by the utility. Granted, it will supply a lot of amperage before deciding you are done. Do you trust that outside breaker more than the main breaker on the box or the same?
A double-pole breaker isn't merging anything. It's strictly a space saver doing the same job as two separate without the retardation of having to flip two breakers for one circuit. Which could lead to a deadly accident.
I'm pretty sure my service is only 100 or 125A, for a 2500 sq. ft. suburban house.

That's it. Window unit sounds right. I'll be sure to get that short/breaker looked at.
If that breaker is for one of those weird looking a/c plugs, and you don't need them, you can just pull that breaker from the panel and leave it out. Cap off the wire ends and fold them out of the way.

It'll just be dead wire laying in the wall. Not doing anything for you but not causing any problems or safety concerns either.

I'm pretty sure my service is only 100 or 125A, for a 2500 sq. ft. suburban house.
Seems like that would be a bit on the low size. I'm just shy of 2900 sq. and have 250 amp service. Granted, it's two story with basement so lots of circuits in a box with probably 40 slots. I hogged 5 circuits just for my kilns. Those pricks are pulling 135a when all are on high. My pole barn has 150a - I have a full sized surface grinder I run off a 240->360 triac box out there.

What if I move the microwave?
Plug-in microwave = you're fine
Wired-in microwave = requires dedicated circuit.

When I had my house inspected by the buyer, the inspector (who was very thorough, to the point where I used her for my new house) pointed out that I was using the microwave circuit for the lighting above the counter too, which is technically not allowed, but was low enough wattage that it was "definitely not a major issue"

Seems like that would be a bit on the low size. I'm just shy of 2900 sq. and have 250 amp service. Granted, it's two story with basement so lots of circuits in a box with probably 40 slots. I hogged 5 circuits just for my kilns. Those pricks are pulling 135a when all are on high. My pole barn has 150a - I have a full sized surface grinder I run off a 240->360 triac box out there.

I've lived in houses here built anywhere from 1880s to 1980s, 2br/1ba to 4ba/3ba w/2 car garage converted into studio apt. 100amp service common in all. Don't think I've lived anywhere with bigger than 125.

Modern electronics are all efficient, low draw. With proper load calc you can run an incredible amount of stuff on 100 amps.

Also natural gas is commonplace here, so stoves, water heaters, furnaces, etc.

I've lived in houses here built anywhere from 1880s to 1980s, 2br/1ba to 4ba/3ba w/2 car garage converted into studio apt. 100amp service common in all. Don't think I've lived anywhere with bigger than 125.
Cheap fuckers didn't want to buy a bigger box.:p :fly: I think my folks house had a 4 fuse, 60 amp box. . . 530ish sq. ft.

Modern electronics are all efficient, low draw. With proper load calc you can run an incredible amount of stuff on 100 amps.
There is that. MIcrowave, toaster and vac are probably in a dead heat for highest momentary power draw. Strike the vacuum, modern hippies are using brooms and Swifters. OR chickens. ;)

• Gravy
Our electric grid stress comes from air conditioning in the summer. Doesn't dip below 80f at night and can hit 100+ in the afternoons. They need to figure out efficient natural gas powered a/c, like in RV's but better.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Cheap fuckers didn't want to buy a bigger box.:p :fly: I think my folks house had a 4 fuse, 60 amp box. . . 530ish sq. ft.

There is that. MIcrowave, toaster and vac are probably in a dead heat for highest momentary power draw. Strike the vacuum, modern hippies are using brooms and Swifters. OR chickens. ;)

We have a couple options.

1. Pay the bill.

2. Live like it's 1819 instead of 2019.

Yes I remember the basement of the farm house where now and then you'd replace a Buss® fuse that had the same screw in base as your light bulbs.

The big main fuses were about the size of a finger or a shotgun shell or something.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Our electric grid stress comes from air conditioning in the summer. Doesn't dip below 80f at night and can hit 100+ in the afternoons. They need to figure out efficient natural gas powered a/c, like in RV's but better.
They have!! Some are compressor-less, others have a compressor. The compressor ones supposedly cut electricity use 75%. Both types act as furnace for winter. They're not particularly expensive - and there are tax incentives to getting one.

• Gravy