Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

I've had the same two pigeons go under my solar panels to construct a nest and lay two eggs four times since March. Each time they do, go up on the roof, sweep the nest out from underneath (which either destroys the eggs on the roof or lets them roll down onto the driveway), and shoo them away.

I think I need to make some wire barriers that mount up to the sides of the panels that will keep them out from underneath :/

I've had the same two pigeons go under my solar panels to construct a nest and lay two eggs four times since March. Each time they do, go up on the roof, sweep the nest out from underneath (which either destroys the eggs on the roof or lets them roll down onto the driveway), and shoo them away.

I think I need to make some wire barriers that mount up to the sides of the panels that will keep them out from underneath :/

Ours will have “animal skirts” to keep this from happening.

Blast them with piss.

Seeing the closer on the bottom of this door bothers me probably more than it should. Can envision it getting kicked, banged up, bent, moving things in and out, takes a couple inches away from the usable width of the door, etc.

I know it closes the door just as good as it would on the top but it looks weird.

Is your wife really short and couldn't reach the latch to hold it open if it was on top?
I've always seen them installed just like @Josh's.

I've always seen them installed just like @Josh's.
It's the less common position but certainly better than at the bottom of the door(seriously, some people do that*). Top is the winner by far since you can still walk most tall stuff like fridges through the doorway without hitting the bracket.
*Not sure why Josh's carpenter did that on the one door. Only takes one tard(or drunk friend) to step on it and it's toast. FFS

It's the less common position but certainly better than at the bottom of the door(seriously, some people do that*). Top is the winner by far since you can still walk most tall stuff like fridges through the doorway without hitting the bracket.
*Not sure why Josh's carpenter did that on the one door. Only takes one tard(or drunk friend) to step on it and it's toast. FFS
It's not less common to me!

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
i had to scroll back to see what we were arguing about. Im with wetwille... what the hell is the autocloser doing on the bottom of the door

i had to scroll back to see what we were arguing about. Im with wetwille... what the hell is the autocloser doing on the bottom of the door
All of the Andersen ones sold at the big box stores are pre-drilled for them to be installed low, for about the last decade.

I assume it's a scam to get @HipHugHer to bitch about it.

im not seeing the logic, im far far more likely to trip/step/etc on it when its low.
If the door is open, the closer will protrude a couple inches in from the hinge side.

Not a huge tripping hazard, unless you're one of these guys:

The logic for keeping it down low is to allow you to hit the holder button with your foot while your hands are full, like if you were walking in with an armload full of groceries and need to go make another trip.

If the door is open, the closer will protrude a couple inches in from the hinge side.

Not a huge tripping hazard, unless you're one of these guys:

The logic for keeping it down low is to allow you to hit the holder button with your foot while your hands are full, like if you were walking in with an armload full of groceries and need to go make another trip.

That's way too logical. But I like it. Hydraulically noted.

Is that your expert layman's opinion on the ergonomics of the situation?
Yes. fly's kinda short, that would take out a kneecap on him.:p
If you're walking in you have to fiddle with the door anyway - your hands will be empty when going back to the car so you hit the latching mech then. However, would be nice either direction if someone was behind you with arms full. I like it. Despite it's slightly vulnerable position.
MIddle of the door isn't end of the world. ffs.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer