Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

Cut out the center of the cabinet doors and replace it with chicken wire, then get some farm/country style decorations in there.

Also any white, cream, etc. looks like it's dirty all the time. Give it some color. Can use the cream/white on trim.

Want to renovate old kitchen and repaint walls wthite by myself. I've never done it before but it seems to be not so hard task, just need to practice. Do you like classic white kitchen with the white cabinets ?
101511064_p_0.jpg
Straight white is fine, some people like having a reason to wipe them down routinely. I installed a kitchen almost like that picture about 10 years ago - looks spotless every time i visit my brother's place. ;)

Had my carpenter install storm doors on my house today. So exciting. Door frames were getting so weathered because they had no protection. So dumb that the previous owners didn't install storm doors.

20190701_191526_HDR_resize.jpg

The daylight basement door has a screen insert if I want to put it in. But I rarely use that door so the glass will stay in it all the time.

IMG952955_resize.jpg

The new storm door on the main entrance has an integrated screen, so you pull down the top half glass. No swapping out glass and screen. Plus I can close it in bad weather to keep the entrance dry.

IMG952956_resize.jpg

Had my carpenter install storm doors on my house today. So exciting. Door frames were getting so weathered because they had no protection. So dumb that the previous owners didn't install storm doors.

View attachment 8011

The daylight basement door has a screen insert if I want to put it in. But I rarely use that door so the glass will stay in it all the time.

View attachment 8012

The new storm door on the main entrance has an integrated screen, so you pull down the top half glass. No swapping out glass and screen. Plus I can close it in bad weather to keep the entrance dry.

View attachment 8013
I had a door like that on my old house (the integrated half-screen). Keep your eye on the tensioner, it likes to come loose from one side and flop around.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie and Josh

View attachment 8011

Seeing the closer on the bottom of this door bothers me probably more than it should. Can envision it getting kicked, banged up, bent, moving things in and out, takes a couple inches away from the usable width of the door, etc.

I know it closes the door just as good as it would on the top but it looks weird.

Is your wife really short and couldn't reach the latch to hold it open if it was on top?

Used the table saw to rip some trim to width for the screen porch.

The saw makes a whining noise when it spins down now.

I only use the thing once a year, it would be nice to not have to replace it.
Blow it out with an air hose - probably got a chip of wood in there. Otherwise, use until the blade has noticeable and objectionable play.
ehh, the cheapy saws are all integrated direct drive motors and replacing the bearing is not any easy task and required a press at the minimum.
DEpending on your handy level and what you have around or can make, he could probably get away without the press. Kind of like installing universal joints for vehicles with a few sockets and a larger bench vise.

Used the table saw to rip some trim to width for the screen porch.

The saw makes a whining noise when it spins down now.

I only use the thing once a year, it would be nice to not have to replace it.

Open it up and clean it
Put a few drops of 3in1 oil on the bearings if you can see them

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh and Valve1138