Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

damn, whole septic install is only $7-12k in this area. with the dirt work. d box is only $100 for the box for a big one in plastic, $500 in concrete. BUt yeah, playing with dookie water.
perc test alone and permits round here is 1800.

Also, i want to avoid having to re-perc at all costs. All my neighbors failed perc like 8 times before someone bribed an inspector. Not gonna risk failing perc.

not for that price i aint. thats the 30k option.

Tank is ancient, probably single cavity, but it works.
Long as the baffle is holding back the scum is should be. In really heavy soil(outside the field) it might be prudent to have the 2 step.
Insult time "you're the slimiest layer in the septic tank." :eek:

No, we're not saying the same thing. The array on my roof is wired in such a way that about 400VDC comes down from them to the inverter. There's an output on my inverter that's regulated to 13-14VDC for a battery bank, if I wanted to use it.

Tesla powerwalls, a very attractive, ridiculously expensive, wall-hung lithium ion battery bank, only plugs into a separate breaker from the inverter, meaning that whatever fancy shit you've got in your inverter, the electricity still has to go DC from the panels to AC from the inverter to DC back in the powerwall when you're a-chargin' your laser.
If true, that is dumb. Seems odd that they wouldn't design it with solar in mind. Are you 100% sure, or are you talking out your ace?

line to tank is fine (most likely), although it is old cast iron. Tank is overfull, meaning its backing up somewhere beyond that. Area where i suspect the dbox might be is super squishy, so thats probably fucked. Big unknown is how much biomat/crushed lines, etc exist beyond that. Theres only two legs to the system in an L shape, so the dude is gonna camera em.

No, we're not saying the same thing. The array on my roof is wired in such a way that about 400VDC comes down from them to the inverter. There's an output on my inverter that's regulated to 13-14VDC for a battery bank, if I wanted to use it.

Tesla powerwalls, a very attractive, ridiculously expensive, wall-hung lithium ion battery bank, only plugs into a separate breaker from the inverter, meaning that whatever fancy shit you've got in your inverter, the electricity still has to go DC from the panels to AC from the inverter to DC back in the powerwall when you're a-chargin' your laser.
I have to call BS on that wiring you propose - that would require putting them in series. One goes and the whole thing is dead. Parallel the voltage would be more in the 17-20v range, albeit, higher amperage. One goes, the rest keep working.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes
i dont want their chloriney have-to-pay-for-it water.

A life where i have to worry about the meter churning cause i wanted to water my garden is not for me.
You know you dont have to give up the well if you don't want to? You can water the garden with it AND give your kids flouride for stronger teeth.

i dont want their chloriney have-to-pay-for-it water.

A life where i have to worry about the meter churning cause i wanted to water my garden is not for me.
Shit is the worst. I carry gallon jugs of water to work - 1 for me, one for my plants. Hey, I got a nice window, why not?

Yup, it's right there on the power wall website.
Nope. It does say this.

"The “92% efficiency” figure quoted by Tesla isn’t as good as it sounds, but it doesn’t matter.

The PowerWall batteries themselves likely run at about 48VDC, and are boosted by an internal DC-DC converter up to 350V-450V. This is to match the DC input of typical inverters. The huge difference in voltages means a significant efficiency hit – one-way efficiencies are probably about 94% to 97%.
You have to add a AC-DC inverter (with 97% efficiency each direction), so your real-world AC-AC round trip efficiency drops to 87%. This is lower, but it doesn’t matter, because losing 13% of your low cost electricity is insignificant in the economics. Amortizing the capital cost of your system, by ensuring long lifetime for the batteries, is far more important."

Sorry friend, but each panel is only producing 17-20 v. dc.

Last edited:
Maybe this explains why.

Yeah, that guy's post to the question is an excellent explanation of exactly what a grid tie solar inverter with a charge controller does.

First mention I've seen of a Powerwall coming in a DC version though. Their website doesn't mention it.