Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

"Throwing one up" was too much for my tangential brain( fueled by alcohol) to turn down. passing through 3rd rock from the sun. . .

I ate at Culvers recently. Mae me crap like a cow.

If I added another couple sets of studs to the greenhouse and sheathed it in it might serve as a makeshift one-car dirt floor garage. Narrow squeeze for opening doors though at 8'.

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh
Soon to be plumbed, the plumber just ran off to get the vent stack (2" PVC) and the copper for the installation.

View attachment 6332
Nice. I have an on-demand propane heater for domestic hot water and baseboard heat. Unfortunately the one in this house is some cheap model that Samsung sold off and parts are impossible to get. And there's an active recall on it. Not sure if the sellers ever had the recall done. When I had the propane service tech installing the propane heat stove in the basement, he looked at my on-demand heater and said "if you ever see one of these go for sale somewhere, even the natural gas version BUY IT. they are hard to find parts for." fml. He liked Bosch and installs those since spare parts are easy to get locally.

Nice. I have an on-demand propane heater for domestic hot water and baseboard heat. Unfortunately the one in this house is some cheap model that Samsung sold off and parts are impossible to get. And there's an active recall on it. Not sure if the sellers ever had the recall done. When I had the propane service tech installing the propane heat stove in the basement, he looked at my on-demand heater and said "if you ever see one of these go for sale somewhere, even the natural gas version BUY IT. they are hard to find parts for." fml. He liked Bosch and installs those since spare parts are easy to get locally.
Yeah, I had a Bosch at the other house, and I wouldn't touch another one of those, after the dumb shit they did to make it not take a power connection.

This one's a Navien NPE-240S (no fancy pants recirc on it, just turn it on and wait). Navien's been a fairly stable player for a while, and my folks have the fancy model and haven't had any trouble with it.

I need to figure out how to connect my wifi thermostat to replace the old school mercury thermostat. Wifi needs 3 wires, only 2 are connected, wifi needs 24vdc.

Interesting. I have an external recirculator.View attachment 6339
I had an external recirculator on my old heater, but it sucked. I suppose I could probably re-run a return line into the garage from the furthest sink through the attic, but as is, it's "recirculation" was just a one-way valve from the hot supply into the cold supply that then ran back out into the street. Super ghetto.

At any rate, mine does 9.8GPM at 40°F rise, takes the existing 1/2" gas line, and is .99EF/.97UEF. I took a shower at the same time as the boy this morning, and it didn't even break a sweat.

At any rate, mine does 9.8GPM at 40°F rise, takes the existing 1/2" gas line, and is .99EF/.97UEF. I took a shower at the same time as the boy this morning, and it didn't even break a sweat.
I love how quick the hot water that comes out of on-demand hot water heaters. Previous place I lived had oil furnace with hot water storage tank. It took a couple of minutes to get hot water to the shower, and it would run out. I don't think I take super hot showers or long duration.

Nice sunny warm day outside for a change (40F). Replaced two dead floodlights and finally hooked up my wifi thermostat. Inside the circulator pump control housing was a connection for the common (24AC) wire. Hooked up the wire and I was in business.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly and Valve1138