Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

We were thinking this stuff: http://www.armstrong.com/flooring/l...y-resilient-vinyl-tile-A6861/floor-117510.asp

8Xjzeg0.jpg

my mom just did this to her floors.

HOLY FAWK love it

• Gravy
Reactions: APRIL
#povertytrim is listed how I described it. You didn't do it that way. Quit being a canadian trying to pretend someone is pointing the finger at you so you can speak about yourself positively. :lol:

Also, it didn't 'necessitate' anything. If you bought 3/4" deep baseboard you wouldn't have needed the quarter round. Sheesh. But let no one say their wood isn't safe in your hands. . . ;)
Just sayin' that quarter round don't automatically mean shitty job, as you seemed to imply.

In other news, leftover hardwood with the finish planed off works wonderfully in the smoker.

If one of these exists, my apologies. I searched and couldn't find one.

I'm on a kick, mostly because my property values are moving upwards crazy fast. Apparently, because of the rental market in Tampa, townhomes like mine are a hot property for investors, and townhomes here are gone up about 30% in value just over the past year. I said to myself 'hmm, if they get in the range of XXX,000 I might have to consider selling, because that would represent about 50% over what I owe on the home. At the time (2 months back) I figured it might take a few years...

Turns out, one just sold for close to my number, and others are going for sale at such..

I did the virtual tours. Here is one that recently listed and it showed me basically what I'd have to do on improvements to compete if I did decide to sell. I'm going to post pix here of the place that went for sale, but long story short, the real changes are tear out all the carpet, replace the countertops in the kitchen and bathrooms, screen in the back porch (LANAI FGTS), some paint, (maybe) some new appliances (to be discussed in this thread), and a few small touches here and there.

The focus of this thread is basically to share what you've done with your places, swap tips and tricks for shit you have done, want to do, and cost saving things.

I'm giving myself a 1 year time table to complete the improvements I listed above.

Anyway, here is the images of the townhome that got offered to start the discussion. It's the exact same floorplan as mine. (3br, 2.5 bath, attached 1car garage, 1810 sq feet)

wL6BLYX.jpg

vSivXHi.jpg

ud2QdzJ.jpg

9AEVTa7.jpg

2aa3hBG.jpg

5tc2i4F.jpg

I've been there.

This thread seems as good as any...

Our dishwasher isn't draining, so I had to take the damn thing apart. I could hear some clicking, so I think the solenoid that prevents backflow might be shot. Sadly, no easy way of getting to it without pulling the damn thing out. Ugh.

This thread seems as good as any...

Our dishwasher isn't draining, so I had to take the damn thing apart. I could hear some clicking, so I think the solenoid that prevents backflow might be shot. Sadly, no easy way of getting to it without pulling the damn thing out. Ugh.
Before we moved out of the Crapshack™, we had that same issue. Turned out to be some sort of lumpy thing in the sump preventing a flapper valve from opening.

Pull the sump apart and clean it. And do a video while you're at it, I want to make fun of you for the disgusting shit that you didn't wash off the dishes before putting them in the washer.

Before we moved out of the Crapshack™, we had that same issue. Turned out to be some sort of lumpy thing in the sump preventing a flapper valve from opening.

Pull the sump apart and clean it. And do a video while you're at it, I want to make fun of you for the disgusting shit that you didn't wash off the dishes before putting them in the washer.
I already had to siphon out the nasty water. And I forgot to post that it also seems to be leaking from the seal around the motor.. Ugh

I already had to siphon out the nasty water. And I forgot to post that it also seems to be leaking from the seal around the motor.. Ugh
Just go to the scratch and dent and buy a new one then.

You wouldn't believe the effort I went to to keep our "Magic Chef" POS alive in the old house. The Kenmore we got at the Sears Outlet was much nicer, especially after I got the big red mark on the front off ;)

We have a garbage disposal in our dish washer so we can put food in there. Once we baked brownies and put the whole dish in there full of brownies and it cleaned the dish completely. Pretty impressive.

We have a garbage disposal in our dish washer so we can put food in there. Once we baked brownies and put the whole dish in there full of brownies and it cleaned the dish completely. Pretty impressive.
Pretty sure everybody with an automatic dishwasher has a crappy low-power garbage disposal built in.