Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

@Domon lvl up bitch

hmmm, lets compare

* There are 39 network drops run throughout the house DOMON: i have 48 drops
* I have gigabit FiOS and get full speed even at the point furthest from the router DOMON: also have gigabit capable FIOS
* There are 5 doors and 11 windows with a total of 35 magnetic sensors creating 14 security zones DOMON: 3 doors, 28 windows, 31 zones, total granularity. Also, each zone is a temp sensor
* In addition there are 7 interior and 3 exterior security cameras with Passive Infrared motion detection creating 11 more security zones DOMON: 4 interior cameras, 6 exterior cameras
* The cameras can trip the alarm if motion is detected and the security panel can trigger the cameras to record if the alarm goes off: DOMON: yep, via IFTTT or BI fusion
* All camera are Power Over Ethernet and get their power from the network closet DOMON: yep
* I also have a Ring Elite video doorbell, also powered over ethernet : DOMON: noone ever comes to my door, so nope, not yet
* The closet is connected to a UPS so even in a power outage the security system and cameras stay up : DOMON: nope
* When the alarm is armed a 600lb magnetic lock on the bookcase engages : DOMON: that sounds like a good way to lock my children in the house my accident
* The magnetic lock is powered by a dedicated UPS with enough power to run the lock for 6+ hours : DOMON: see above
* The security system (ELK M1-Gold) and smart home hub (ISY994i) talk to each other natively so events can trigger home automation events and vice versa : DOMON: bitch please, get with the times. All my stuff is zwave and zigbee
* The Elk panel has outputs which allow me to control things like my sprinkler system, or anything else like it's a relay on the end of a smart device. DOMON: Yep, sprinkler system is all hardwired into a pi
* I've lost count of the Insteon smart devices which control everything from lights to ceiling fans to my pool pump: DOMON: yep
* Yes, I have the most understanding wife on the planet: DOMON: holy shit yes.

In addition DOMON BONUSES

Low voltage wiring distribution throughout the house 3.3v, 5v, 12v. No need for wall warts for any dc gear relating to the above, or replacing batteries for any of the battery sensors
Weight sensing mat under the doormat instead of doorbell
Multiple 120v ceiling outlets in every room.

Wants:

Driveway sensor
Mailbox sensor

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
Gonna keep that in mind the next time you talk about how your bag-boiled steaks are sooo goooood.
Sous vide steak = meh. I prefer grilling and it's much less fucking around. Maybe I'd do it if I was cooking some sort of 2" thick texas-sized steak, but I'm not really into that.

Sous vide works real well for turning cheap blade/round/whatever roast into something amazing, though.

Sous vide steak = meh. I prefer grilling and it's much less fucking around. Maybe I'd do it if I was cooking some sort of 2" thick texas-sized steak, but I'm not really into that.

Sous vide works real well for turning cheap blade/round/whatever roast into something amazing, though.
That's fine, but I'm still calling a boiled hot dog sous vide after @Amstel gets to claim that his half-assed car was the same as my whole-assed car wash.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer

You still should be grilling, or pan searing, a sous vide steak.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
I was interested in the hinges he used for this.

Its these:
www.amazon.com/Murphy-door-ID-HINGEKIT-Cabinet-Aluminum/dp/B00BHON2XU

They dont support any weight at the far end, so Id be worried about the cabinet racking on itself, it doesnt appear to be as sturdy as I would have built it. itll be fine , tho, Im sure as long as its not loaded to max capacity with books & stuff

It's disappointing, I'd say, to find out the awesome hidden bookcase door opens up to just a closet server room instead of a fucking batcave. I deduct 30 points for this failure.