Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

It's tiled now, but because the floor isn't level, it's cracking in some places so we have to remove it completely. :(
I tiled a floor that wasn't level and it didn't crack.

You can trowel some leveler in underneath the uneven spot and retile just that.

I mean, unless the whole slab under it is moving. Then you're just fucked no matter what you do.

• Gravy
Reactions: plot
I'll have to google it more as it raises a ton more questions for me.

the reason 'floating' works wonderfully is because when it expands & contracts, it doesn't bow.

You take off your baseboard (sometimes 1/2 inch or more thick), and put the flooring in to 1/8 inch from all the walls. THEN put your baseboard down over the gap. It covers the gap, looks slick as fuck, and if the floor expands a little, it just expands into that gap.

Next time you go into a home with the 1/4 round that goes around the room in front of the baseboard you can almost assure that they laid their floor down over the existing floor and just laid the 1/4 round down over it and nailed it to the baseboard. Cheap, #povertytrim, way to do it. But I've seen it countless times.

edit: you can see how just adding the 1/4 round means you don't have to take up the baseboard too. #povertyinstructions ----> https://www.floorstoyourhome.com/resource-center/trims-and-moldings/baseboards/

• Gravy
Reactions: Ledboots

I mean, unless the whole slab under it is moving. Then you're just fucked no matter what you do.
I'm guessing the whole slab is moving... we are on top of sand and water here in Florida. :/

the reason 'floating' works wonderfully is because when it expands & contracts, it doesn't bow.

You take off your baseboard (sometimes 1/2 inch or more thick), and put the flooring in to 1/8 inch from all the walls. THEN put your baseboard down over the gap. It covers the gap, looks slick as fuck, and if the floor expands a little, it just expands into that gap.

Next time you go into a home with the 1/4 round that goes around the room in front of the baseboard you can almost assure that they laid their floor down over the existing floor and just laid the 1/4 round down over it and nailed it to the baseboard. Cheap, #povertytrim, way to do it. But I've seen it countless times.
1/4 round was the standard trim for real hardwood for the better part of the 20th century. I had 1/4 round trim around the original 60 year old unsealed oak floors in my old house.

Ah, okay, I do understand this then. It's the only way you can actually do floors in colorado because of the expansive soil issues they have there. IIRC the float was actually the way the baseboards were attached to the wall to allow a little raise and sink in the floor so the drywall didn't crack.

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel
Ah, okay, I do understand this then. It's the only way you can actually do floors in colorado because of the expansive soil issues they have there.
No, it's the only way you can do hardwood floors just about anywhere that the humidity varies by more than a couple percent over the course of the year.

Wood grows and shrinks with its moisture content.

Actualy I'm pretty sure the previous home owner tiled over the vinyl flooring. :tard:

Actualy I'm pretty sure the previous home owner tiled over the vinyl flooring. :tard:
WELP.

How old is the house? A lot of older ones have multiple layers of linoleum because the bottom one is made with asbestos, and it was cheaper to just roll a new floor out over the old one instead of paying for abatement. That's what happened with my old house (1948).

WELP.

How old is the house? A lot of older ones have multiple layers of linoleum because the bottom one is made with asbestos, and it was cheaper to just roll a new floor out over the old one instead of paying for abatement. That's what happened with my old house (1948).
Nah, it was just a dumb homeowner I think. It was built in 98

People have been freaking out about sinkholes in our neighborhood.

Florida - Too much rain - you get sinkholes... Not enough rain - you get sinkholes...

fuck that

Though the dude that died when a sinkhole opened up under his bedroom and they never found his body. What a shitty way to go.

• Gravy
Reactions: APRIL
Florida - Too much rain - you get sinkholes... Not enough rain - you get sinkholes...

fuck that

Though the dude that died when a sinkhole opened up under his bedroom and they never found his body. What a shitty way to go.
1 mile and change from my house as the crow flies. Ladybutt still freaks out about it sometimes.

I spaced my hardwood floor 1/2" from the walls when I did my basement a couple months back, necessitating both baseboard and 1/4 round to cover the gap. But it'll never create a problem. That's not poverty trim, that's doing actual quality work.

I spaced my hardwood floor 1/2" from the walls when I did my basement a couple months back, necessitating both baseboard and 1/4 round to cover the gap. But it'll never create a problem. That's not poverty trim, that's doing actual quality work.
#povertytrim is listed how I described it. You didn't do it that way. Quit being a canadian trying to pretend someone is pointing the finger at you so you can speak about yourself positively. :lol:

Also, it didn't 'necessitate' anything. If you bought 3/4" deep baseboard you wouldn't have needed the quarter round. Sheesh. But let no one say their wood isn't safe in your hands. . . ;)