Ontopic The GOP - What the hell happened to you

Yet you trust a system that gets roughly 14/10,000 innocent people sentenced to death with putting them in jail? There is absolutely no difference in my mind. You are just as fucked either way. People just have a problem conceptualizing that life is finite. If it ends now with a short drop and quick stop or in 20 years in prison, the ONLY difference is the price tag.

Hell, bring back corporal punishment for lesser crimes, 20 lashes for petty theft instead of 5-10years in prison is probably way cheaper.

of course there's a difference. you can release someone from jail. you can't bring them back to life. big difference.

my gripe isn't with 'executing innocent people', which happens, and is ridiculous. my major gripe is with the fact that government is allowed to execute people.

how can this mindset ever tie in with 'libertarian' ideology?

of course there's a difference. you can release someone from jail. you can't bring them back to life. big difference.
An arrest record, much less a conviction, is a disqualification for most jobs, mortgages, loans, rental housing. Getting a previous conviction expunged is a very expensive process and not even possible in some states. That sounds pretty much like a death sentence to me.

my gripe isn't with 'executing innocent people', which happens, and is ridiculous. my major gripe is with the fact that government is allowed to execute people.

how can this mindset ever tie in with 'libertarian' ideology?
Depends on what kind of libertarian you are. There are anarchist-libertarian types who want the government to have zero power. There is more mainline ones who support a functioning legal system because you essentially need a universally enforced and recognized arbiter.

An arrest record, much less a conviction, is a disqualification for most jobs, mortgages, loans, rental housing. Getting a previous conviction expunged is a very expensive process and not even possible in some states. That sounds pretty much like a death sentence to me.
That's not true at all but even if it were comparing that to NOT EXISTING ANYMORE is ridiculous.

That's not true at all but even if it were comparing that to NOT EXISTING ANYMORE is ridiculous.
That's your own personal belief. There is no legal opinion on the immortal soul since the US court system is primarily concerned with temporal matters.

If you are subject to the power of the United States legal system you may be deprived of life by law. Full stop. Expressly implied by the 14th amendment. Miscarriages of justice happen, of course your chance of winning the lottery twice is better but any human system has flaws.

are you being dense on purpose? comparing not being able to get a job to a literal death sentence is profoundly stupid, dude. no two ways about it. there is nothing that the law can do to you that is comparable to killing you. that has jack shit to do with whatever you're trying to pull by talking about immortal souls.

I know what the fucking laws are, stop trying to act smart by quoting shit we are all aware of. The fact of the matter is that innocent people have been killed by the government and one instance of that is justification enough to end the practice. I am certainly comfortable with the idea of killing those that have killed but our system is not reliable enough to put that authority into the hands of fallible individuals. A lifetime behind bars is still a life and that sentence can be ended. A death cannot be reversed.

are you being dense on purpose? comparing not being able to get a job to a literal death sentence is profoundly stupid, dude. no two ways about it. there is nothing that the law can do to you that is comparable to killing you. that has jack shit to do with whatever you're trying to pull by talking about immortal souls.

I know what the fucking laws are, stop trying to act smart by quoting shit we are all aware of. The fact of the matter is that innocent people have been killed by the government and one instance of that is justification enough to end the practice. I am certainly comfortable with the idea of killing those that have killed but our system is not reliable enough to put that authority into the hands of fallible individuals. A lifetime behind bars is still a life and that sentence can be ended. A death cannot be reversed.
What am I quoting? I'm sick of this shit. Direct me to it because as far as I know I was mopping the floor when I wrote that.

Doctors kill people when they make mistakes! Lets ban them because ONE LIFE IS TOO MANY. :rolleyes:Nothing is reversible, so arguing about reversibility is pointless. You cant fix locking someone up, and you cant bring them back from the dead. How many average cases get the kind of scrutiny death penalty ones have? They are probably the closest thing to fair there is.

ETA: I know the difference between deaths by accident and deaths on purpose. The thing is the death penalty is not meant to kill innocent people so those are deaths by accident/negligence.

Last edited:
  • Gravy
Reactions: 1 person
What am I quoting? I'm sick of this shit. Direct me to it because as far as I know I was mopping the floor when I wrote that.

Doctors kill people when they make mistakes! Lets ban them because ONE LIFE IS TOO MANY. :rolleyes:Nothing is reversible, so arguing about reversibility is pointless. You cant fix locking someone up, and you cant bring them back from the dead. How many average cases get the kind of scrutiny death penalty ones have? They are probably the closest thing to fair there is.

ETA: I know the difference between deaths by accident and deaths on purpose. The thing is the death penalty is not meant to kill innocent people so those are deaths by accident/negligence.

you're trying to equate doctors making mistakes while trying to save lives to the government actively killing a human being

you certainly can fix locking someone up by, y'know, LETTING THEM GO

I'm voting for Herman Cain. If Obama has taught me anything, it's that black people are just as effective in office as white people.

Judge Rules That Alabama Republicans Acted With Racist Intent to Suppress Voter Turnout
A federal judge accused two state Republicans, called by federal prosecutors in a massive Alabama corruption case, of cooperating with the feds because of their “ulterior motives rooted in naked political ambition and pure racial bias.”
State Sen. Scott Beason and former Rep. Benjamin Lewis, U.S. District Judge Myron Thompson wrote, “lack credibility for two reasons
http://www.angryblacklady.com/2011/10/22/alabama-gop-acted-with-racist-intent-voter-suppression/