Thread The Good Ol' "Best Countries Too Live In" List.

But why should April have to pay for your welfare benefit? She doesn't care about you cos she's alright Jack and doesn't need to care about anyone else in the world.

You obviously don't understand how unemployment insurance works in the US. Feel free to keep talking out of your ass.

Unemployed, no home, no car. Completely down and out, but working every single day to change that. I don't even get your point.

My point? you worked hard and yet you ended up down and out at some point. Kinda flaws the logic Ape had of 'fuck em you should always be alright because that's just how it works'.

Life is not fair. Life isn't great. Life doesn't work out happily ever after and I'd rather help people not fall through the cracks when life takes a shit on them than tell someone less fortunate in luck terms to fuck off.

My point? you worked hard and yet you ended up down and out at some point. Kinda flaws the logic Ape had of 'fuck em you should always be alright because that's just how it works'.

Life is not fair. Life isn't great. Life doesn't work out happily ever after and I'd rather help people not fall through the cracks when life takes a shit on them than tell someone less fortunate in luck terms to fuck off.
My point is exactly Dukes situation. I agree that everyone will have ups and downs, its what you do with your situation to make it better. His situation is admirable, most poor people's is not.

Duke I think you need to take a step back and realise I'm not attacking YOU or calling YOU a loser, I'm hypothesising about April's lack of care about humans. :lol:

No, I think you need to step back and realize that what you are saying is completely off the wall and invalid. Unemployment is paid by past employers. Those benefits last about 4-6 months. When they are gone, they are gone. Period. No more money. The supposition is that after that time, you should have been able to find a new job. What we are both saying is that if people are down and out, it's up to THEM to fix it. Not us. There are things to keep you going if you play by the rules. If you decide to scrub off, and not make sacrifices, or do what is necessary to fix the situation you are in, you don't deserve the rest of the country supporting you. No one does, except for maybe Military veterans, who I think have made more of a sacrifice for what we take for granted than anyone, and have earned getting something back from the rest of us.

I've meet quite a few people who were dead beats and scrubs. In each and every case, they were because of choices they made and continue to make. I could have easily been one of them, but, knowing that if I just had a big ass pity party and waited for something to change I would become one of them, I instead took menial jobs waiting tables, living in small 300 sq foot apartments, and doing whatever else it took to get myself back on track. I know a lot of people who don't, and bitch that nothing goes their way, while downing their daily 12 pack of beer, playing another video game that could have gone towards rent, or a car payment, or whatever.

People are what their choices and actions make them.

but most of all, you need people to be unemployed.

if everyone was highly skilled, you'd end up with a situation you had in early 2000's ireland where everyone it seemed had a university degree. most plumbers or tilers were making over 100k Euro per year. Not a small minority either, most.

It's still that way, to an extent.

also I always knew Duke was a good lad, that impressed me moreso however.

not everyone has the ability to work themselves out of a hole, especially in not in this climate.

i made a decision today to axe my part time job - that means i'll be living on ~5k per year that the government loan to me. it may be a bad choice, it may be a good choice. i can't really tell at this stage. i have slipped in my grades due to spending most of my time working and trying to make rent and other bills. it's going to be tough, but i didn't waste 4 years to fuck it up over the head short-term profit.