Thread The Golf Thread.

I generally play mid-higher torque S-flex shafts. I would play low torque regular flex, except the shaft selections for those are very poor. My swing isn't jerky enough to warrant an X-flex of any type.

Don't know how obvious a knockoff would be, but that's why you only bid on items from sellers with high positive reviews for high tag items.

When I've bought golf clubs, I do so from guys who are listed distributors on the manufacturer websites. There are a lot of Taylormade and Callaway Ebay guys. Like one for Titleist that I can find.

I didn't update. I ended up keeping a Callaway Diablo Black Tour 9.5 Project X 6.0 70gram driver that I tried from a local shop $160 used, but like new condition. I've shot back to back rounds of 80, followed by a 77 yesterday. My tee shots are much more controlled. I've definitely gone against modern convention by buying a driver with a heavier, rather than lighter shaft. I can get away with a less than optimal transition from my back swing this way. My long irons have lost a little bit of distance which is frustrating. I think I'm trying too hard to pilot the club and it's resulted in a loss of yardage and a few shanks. Those are very unnerving because I usually strike the ball on the inner portion of the face. I am always a half to quarter inch from shanking. Still, the scoring is happening. On that 77 round, I hit two approach shots that hit the pin on a bounce. Putting has greatly improved mostly by changing my mindset and not being afraid to fly it 4-5 feet past the cup. In that 80 round I did manage a four putt :)mad:) but my putts per round is altogether falling.

yeah, there's 2 ways to putt. absolutely hammer it at the hole unafraid of running well past ala tiger woods or lagging it in using the break fully like 99% of the rest of the golf world and leave yourself a very short 2nd putt at worst. :p

Since my lag skills aren't very good, I'm totally a "every putt is straight if you hit it hard enough" kind of putter. It works fairly well. At some point, I'll need to further develop distance control.

Since my lag skills aren't very good, I'm totally a "every putt is straight if you hit it hard enough" kind of putter. It works fairly well. At some point, I'll need to further develop distance control.

My golf coach used to tell us "if all else fails, hit it hard hit it straight hit it in"

I'm playing some of the best golf of my life now so I'm going to humble myself tomorrow. Friends and I have a tee time at the hardest rated golf course in the country. I'll let you guys know how that goes.

So playing Koolau the other week I carded a 98, 26 over par. Conditions were just insane. 200+ yard forced carries. If you missed the fairways, the ball was lost. I have no idea how the course record is 63. I haven't updated much since then.

This Sunday on my home course I scored my lowest round ever and my first round under par. Birdie on the first hole and 17 pars to follow for a 70. The odd part is I didn't feel like I was playing that well. I had errors all over the place.

Minor equipment changes. Thrown out the 60 degree wedge, as I so rarely ever use it now. Took my first foray in to hybrid technology with a 17 degree 2h. I hit it consistently well -- always with a draw though -- and it bridges the gap between my 3 iron and 4 wood nicely.

Maybe the greens fees here are just retarded.

Turtle Bay has a Fazio course. Play it all the time now.

little from column a, little from column b. we have a zillion courses here which keeps the prices low and you have stupid high rates

I regripped all my clubs in my garage yesterday evening. Took me about an hour to do all 14. I'm getting pretty good at it. Thinking I should start doing this as a side hobby.

I lopped off 1 and 1/16th inch off my backup putter (to 33 and 15/16th) and installed one of those ginormous Tiger Shark putter grips on it. The feel is amazing. We'll see if the mods translate to better putting on saturday.

Has anyone else used an oversized grip before? They are becoming more and more popular on tour.

They range from like $10 to $25 depending on what brand. It's difficult to push/pull putts. The wrists don't break down as easily. I also don't have to hold the putter tightly, so maybe that'll give me better fell. We'll see! I'm pumped!

Picked up a set of 2012 Cobra Amp irons/hybrids on ebay for $421 :cool:

it's the 3h, 4h, 5-PW set. $700 on sale everywhere else, and they're not knockoffs like half the mizunos and pings are on Ebay.

Freakin sweet clubs.

eBay is great for golf clubs. I got a TaylorMade r7 SuperQuad driver for $130 (retail at the time was around $400).

I went back to Koolau on Friday for some more punishment. There is no doubt that playing that course makes me a better golfer. I recall my last adventure there I carded a 98 and went home with my tail between my legs.

6,797 yards of this shit:

255458_601045873862_1294336347_n.jpg

This last round on Friday I shot 78, which by index is the equivalent of shooting around 69 on my home course. Course management was key. At the end of this round I was mentally exhausted. I pulled out the driver only three times during the entire round. I played for the 150 or 100 yard marker on every par 4 tee shot. Center of the green on ever par 3. I went for none of the par 5's in two. My goal was to play bogey golf but in doing so I ended up scoring much lower than expected. Interestingly, I could have scored even lower, but I just couldn't get a good feel on the greens. I can recall 3 or 4 putts that lipped out.

I lost only two balls, which has got to be a freakin' record.

Last edited: