Thread The Golf Thread.

Have you ever used a swing training aid or swing assessment to help you? Did you receive instruction?

I had instruction for about a month when I started. I never bought any swing training aids, except for aiming sticks. I found those useful on the range. If I practice without them my alignment slowly goes off and I make more mistakes to compensate.

I've taken lessons intermittently. I had one instructor the whole time but he's gone now. Right now I'm fishing. Nobody that I trust yet.

I did really well with the 5 and 7 on the range yesterday. They're solid irons. I'm trying to get my swing down and focus less on power. I still occasionally completely miss the ball. :fly:

I also have a tendency to chop the top of the ball, causing a clumsy 20-yard bounce shot.

It's nearly impossible to hit the top of the ball on the downswing. Chances are your wrists are breaking so the clubface releases before the bottom of your swing, causing you to top it on the upstroke. It's a common problem.

methinks you're picking your head up. sounds morbid but you should pretend your head is on a pike. move it as little as possible and maintain eye contact with the ball through the swing.

Have you ever used a swing training aid or swing assessment to help you? Did you receive instruction?

took a couple kids golf clinics when I was 6-10. mostly entailed throngs of kids pitching divots.

bzAOu.gif

nice! my gf wants me to teach her golf this spring. that will be fun. sounds like this one already knows how. did you see her hit?

nice! my gf wants me to teach her golf this spring. that will be fun. sounds like this one already knows how. did you see her hit?

She was there with what I thought was her boyfriend. Turns out it was her brother. I could tell she's not a golfer, but she did hit a couple of good shots. Then after we chatted, I was in the parking lot with my friend Jared drinking beers. She and her brother walked by us and said hi and then piled in to a pretty brand new silver Benz. She drove. Must be her parents car, based on how both of them were dressed. Maybe she's wealthy.

74???? whoa! let's hear about that. :cool:

It's mostly a result of my iron and wedge-play again. On a 213 par 3, I hit my 5 iron to about 4 feet. On a 166 yard par 3, my ball hit the green, then hit the cup on the hop and came to rest about a foot away. Would have been my first hole in one. My weaknesses haven't changed, but my putting is getting better. I'm also at that point with my wedges where I'm more comfortable hitting out of a bunker than out of the rough greenside. I never understood why a lot of players feel that way. Sand is so much more predictable than long grass.

I'm now hunting for a different driver. Something with a little more loft (9.5, 10, rather than 8.5) and a shaft designed for a mid launch rather than low. I've always been a high ball hitter, but I really have to be perfect to hit this club consistently. I want to see if I can't use a higher ball flight to get more consistency, even if I sacrifice the ability to cheat the wind and roll.

no hole in ones here either. my grandmother has like 3 and she's been playing for about 45-50 years. my grandfather has 0 and he's been playing for like 80. he has always been able to out-score her all day. luck and a smidgen of skill.

I also share the same 'fate' that I've become much more comfortable and way more accurate out of sand than being on the rough cuff of the green. how fucked up is that? I do the 7 iron putt anywhere non-sand which my grandfather showed me eons ago. me and a lob wedge trying to drop it on the hole are not friends.

what driver are you hitting again? R10?

Last edited:
Superfast TP, 8.5*, Fujikura Motore F1 shaft.

The only reason I chose the TP model is because it's 2 degrees open, to help me reduce my tendency to overcook it left. to that extent, it works well. I am told the non-tp head has a hotter hitting surface, but is closed-faced. Most of my displeasure with drivers is that nearly all of them are closed-face to help amateurs square the clubhead at impact. But I'm an amateur with the opposite problem.

sounds like you're swinging inside out with an open face :p
don't quote me. too late in the eve for golf physics

Maybe. Everywhere I play people comment that I have an amazing swing. :fly:

My driver accuracy problems might also be exacerbated by a driver that is too long for me @ 45.5 inches.

too long? had to google this since I grew up playing clubs too long because that's how it often goes when you're a kid golfer and club length never suits you. that's the standard driver length though. same as mine and I'm also 5'9"-5'10".

too long? had to google this since I grew up playing clubs too long because that's how it often goes when you're a kid golfer and club length never suits you. that's the standard driver length though. same as mine and I'm also 5'9"-5'10".

I think I may do better with a 44-45 inch. In theory I should lose some distance, but if I'm getting back to the ball better, who cares.

Went to Ping's demo-day. I wasted about an hour's worth of their time. Love it.

Tested the G20 driver. Loved it.
I can't hit their hybrids for shit.
Their fairway woods didn't wow me.

I actually got fitted for the Ping Anser forged irons. They measured me for lie changes and hooked me up with a test 7-iron to those specs. My clubs need to be 0.5 degrees upright. I loved it, until I realized the MSRP on a set of those irons was $1,400. I said it was too rich for me. He asked what I might be willing to pay. I told him $500. He said maybe next year. :fly:

I got what I wanted -- knowledge that I should adjust the lie of my current clubs upright 0.5 degrees.