Thread The Golf Thread.

I park my car in the deck at work which has 24 hour armed security. safest deck in town. I have never heard of anyone being broken into in the 10+ years I've worked here. the only time I've ever regretted leaving my clubs in the trunk, which I've done pretty much my whole life, was when I got rear ended in athens, ga eons ago and a couple got bent.

If you only travel between your garage at home and your garage at work then whatever. You don't stop at the grocery store? Go shopping? Meetings with clients outside of the CNN building?

It's just generally not a good idea. I know the clubs are bulky and heavy and it's a pain to drag them up and down stairs or through an apartment complex.

If you only travel between your garage at home and your garage at work then whatever. You don't stop at the grocery store? Go shopping? Meetings with clients outside of the CNN building?

It's just generally not a good idea. I know the clubs are bulky and heavy and it's a pain to drag them up and down stairs or through an apartment complex.

my garage at home and work are one and the same :fly:
shopping? not really
clients? my clients are other CNN/Turner employees

Last edited:

What's the big deal? I'm sure he has insurance.

uh-huh

great day of golf. we didn't do terribly well but the weather was amazing and I was out soaking up the sun and drinking beers with 3 of my best buddies. we only finished -2. hah! think the winners were -12. the bottle of patron might have had something to do with it. lulz

girl's here now and we're heading for six flags in a sec. what a killer day!

I hope you take her car so your clubs don't get stolen.

Just kidding.

Sounds like a great day. I never play well in scramble groups :(

In the last fifteen days my index has dropped three points. Not unheard of, but very unusual. My goal when I made this thread at the beginning of the year was to make single digits by EOY. They way things are moving, I might get close to that even taking in to account the 6 months where I lost the desire to play. Right now I sit at an 11.4 index. The places where my game needs work changes with every drop in my handicap. Right now most obviously I need to improve my tee shot accuracy and putting. I'm hitting 4-5 fairways a round and even though my GIR is acceptable ~6-7/round, sometimes I'm faced with 60 foot putts that I can't judge appropriately. I'm also not sinking a high enough percentage of 10 footers.

Tomorrow the handicap system will update again and I'll be a 10. I've dropped seven strokes in less than thirty days. Turned in rounds of 84, 83, and another 78. What's unreal about these scores is the number of birdies I'm having. Each round I've had at least three birdies. That doesn't say much for my consistency, but that the quality of my good shots are becoming amazing. When I shot the 78, I hit the pin on my tee shot on a 214 yard par 3. Had a six inch putt. They made me putt it.:D The whole round was like that. I hit almost every approach shot within 20 feet of the hole.

I'm still struggling off the tee, averaging 4-5 fairways a round. I'm not sure what to do about it. I may need an equipment change. The driver I have is clearly for a golfer that never misses. 8.5 degrees loft, motore f1 shaft, face 2 degrees open. I thought the open face would help me, since when I miss it's always left. Alas, I can still smother tee shots and hit massive snap hooks. It's probably more a function of me not playing enough loft and a shaft that is too long. I have hit the longest drives of my life using this club, so it's hard for me to give it up.

I'm teasing the idea of getting my driver fitted. Possibly at the next demo day for Callaway or Taylormade.

I took my kid to golf lessons today with his mom at the Hank Haney golf school, with 4 full holes, a putting green, a bunker, and a driving range. He goes regularly, and is getting pretty darn good. As I'm standing there talking to his mom and watching him work through chipping and 7-iron drills I decided it could be amusing to give it a go, and after his hour-long lesson the instructor leaves us a bucket of balls to work on what he had just gone over. So I took the kid's little 7-iron and embarrassed myself on the first few balls. There's a huge pond with a floating platform close to shore, and one of the drills is to land a ball on it. I couldn't do it for the life of me. I sliced one off to the right and then sent a couple more wildly into the water.

So I said to heck with it and decided to pound a few. So I took this little club, put a ball down, and completely smashed it almost 200 yards (approximate, according to the instructor). Over the pond, across the course beyond, and into the trees that line the river past the property. He looked at me and said "Woah, hold on a sec. Try a few more." Pounded almost every single one of them into the tree line, with one landing on the course itself.

Then he took me over to the range and gave me a full sized 7 iron and 9 iron. We worked on my stance a bit, fixed my grip, and got to work. I smashed the holy shit out of those balls. No driver, just the two irons. It was amazing. I thought I'd embarrass the crap out of myself, and fully expected to do so. The farthest ball I hit landed around 250 yards. The guy told me to buy some clubs pronto and get my ass up there for lessons.

This place offers a 5-week clinic package for $200 that includes a 1.5 hour lesson each week and 3 custom made clubs: a 5-iron, 8-iron, and putter. I think I'm going to give it a go.

I took my kid to golf lessons today with his mom at the Hank Haney golf school, with 4 full holes, a putting green, a bunker, and a driving range. He goes regularly, and is getting pretty darn good. As I'm standing there talking to his mom and watching him work through chipping and 7-iron drills I decided it could be amusing to give it a go, and after his hour-long lesson the instructor leaves us a bucket of balls to work on what he had just gone over. So I took the kid's little 7-iron and embarrassed myself on the first few balls. There's a huge pond with a floating platform close to shore, and one of the drills is to land a ball on it. I couldn't do it for the life of me. I sliced one off to the right and then sent a couple more wildly into the water.

So I said to heck with it and decided to pound a few. So I took this little club, put a ball down, and completely smashed it almost 200 yards (approximate, according to the instructor). Over the pond, across the course beyond, and into the trees that line the river past the property. He looked at me and said "Woah, hold on a sec. Try a few more." Pounded almost every single one of them into the tree line, with one landing on the course itself.

Then he took me over to the range and gave me a full sized 7 iron and 9 iron. We worked on my stance a bit, fixed my grip, and got to work. I smashed the holy shit out of those balls. No driver, just the two irons. It was amazing. I thought I'd embarrass the crap out of myself, and fully expected to do so. The farthest ball I hit landed around 250 yards. The guy told me to buy some clubs pronto and get my ass up there for lessons.

This place offers a 5-week clinic package for $200 that includes a 1.5 hour lesson each week and 3 custom made clubs: a 5-iron, 8-iron, and putter. I think I'm going to give it a go.

Dude that's awesome. I hope you get in to it.

Are you by chance a baseball, hockey, or tennis player? People who grew up playing those sports have an easy adjustment to absolutely killing the golf ball.

My long shot was just under 200 on the driving range. Ethan's mom said I wasn't listening to the instructor while I was gloating. :fly:

The net is at 250, not where my ball landed. :( But still, 175-200 is good. I guess.

My long shot was just under 200 on the driving range. Ethan's mom said I wasn't listening to the instructor while I was gloating. :fly:

The net is at 250, not where my ball landed. :( But still, 175-200 is good. I guess.

I hit my nine iron 146 and that's farther than most. I can't hit a seven iron 200 yards. No way. Never.