Thread The Golf Thread.

This used to be true, but their stuff has come a long way. The VR full cavity is an excellent GI club.

Basically all these brands have clubs that are so similar in performance, it's just a matter of taste. Beginners don't have taste, so get whatever brand -- shop by price. When you're fitting golf clubs for the first time, select something that gives you confidence when you look at the ball at address. Other than that, the shaft flex is probably the most important thing. If you have shafts that are too stiff or too whippy, you'll be miserable.

Try some stuff out.

too whippy generally being the worse of the 2

Well, I pulled the trigger on a set of Taylormade 2009 Tour Preferred's with DGS300, and a 2010 Burner Superfast TP 8.5 Stiff with 65g Fujikura Motore.

In total, $710.

IMG_20101215_142745.jpg

IMG_20101215_142819.jpg

They. Are. Here. Finally.

So I've had several rounds with these clubs.

The driver is long. Really long. Longer than any other club I've tested. I'm pretty consistently in the 270-280 yard range which is far for me. I've been fighting a pretty wicked hook and when I get that sorted out, I'm sure I'll be longer. There are a couple of 300+ yard par 4s on my home course where my tee shots have been over the green.

I'm loving the new irons as well. I've gained about a club and half's worth of distance with the new irons over my Mizuno MP-60s. I don't know if these irons are hot or if the Mizunos just played short. The added yardage doesn't really matter to me that much. What I can say is that the TPs are shockingly easy to hit for a player's club. I do miss the amount of spin the Mizunos could impart on the ball. I'm hesitant to change my ball to something that spins more, as I am already spraying tee shots. The pitching wedge in the set sucks and will be replaced with a Mizuno or Cleveland wedge in the not too distant future. I'm also annoyed that after only a few rounds, the black enamel on the back of the heads have started chipping from bag chatter. Oh well.

I'm scoring pretty consistently in the low-mid 80's. I don't think it necessarily has any thing to do with the equipment though. I'd be in the 70's if I could discipline myself with better course management. There are holes now where I need to keep the driver in the bag because it brings hazards that were normally out of reach in to play. My putting is horrendous too. I'm averaging like 34 putts a round.

That's my story.

what was the loft on your old driver? that might explain the new found distance.

I've had everything from a 6.5 to a 10.5. My last driver was the Ping G10 10.5 degree, which my father nicknamed the Howitzer, because of how high I hit the ball. I think it was mostly a function of the shaft though. High launch shafts aren't any good for me.

So I've had several rounds with these clubs.

The driver is long. Really long. Longer than any other club I've tested. I'm pretty consistently in the 270-280 yard range which is far for me. I've been fighting a pretty wicked hook and when I get that sorted out, I'm sure I'll be longer. There are a couple of 300+ yard par 4s on my home course where my tee shots have been over the green.

I'm loving the new irons as well. I've gained about a club and half's worth of distance with the new irons over my Mizuno MP-60s. I don't know if these irons are hot or if the Mizunos just played short. The added yardage doesn't really matter to me that much. What I can say is that the TPs are shockingly easy to hit for a player's club. I do miss the amount of spin the Mizunos could impart on the ball. I'm hesitant to change my ball to something that spins more, as I am already spraying tee shots. The pitching wedge in the set sucks and will be replaced with a Mizuno or Cleveland wedge in the not too distant future. I'm also annoyed that after only a few rounds, the black enamel on the back of the heads have started chipping from bag chatter. Oh well.

I'm scoring pretty consistently in the low-mid 80's. I don't think it necessarily has any thing to do with the equipment though. I'd be in the 70's if I could discipline myself with better course management. There are holes now where I need to keep the driver in the bag because it brings hazards that were normally out of reach in to play. My putting is horrendous too. I'm averaging like 34 putts a round.

That's my story.

Pardon my ignorance, but what does the bolded part mean?