Thread The Golf Thread.

sarc, that's awesome. glad to have you on the golf team. post what clubs you are interested in before you buy

Dude that's awesome. I hope you get in to it.

Are you by chance a baseball, hockey, or tennis player? People who grew up playing those sports have an easy adjustment to absolutely killing the golf ball.

Substitute baseball with cricket, and I grew up playing all of those, yet I can't drive a golf ball more than 280. :(

Are you tall? Leverage goes a long way. I'm relatively short at 5'9.

I'm 5'9", but I do a lot of upper body. Free weights and pushups every day.

I'm going to hit Craigslist and see if anyone has a hockey stick shaped club.

Ed and Nancy met while on a singles cruise and Ed fell head over heels for her. When they discovered they lived in the same city only a few miles apart Ed was ecstatic. He immediately started asking her out when they got home.

Within a couple of weeks, Ed had taken Nancy to dance clubs, restaurants, concerts, movies, and museums. Ed became convinced that Nancy was indeed his soul mate and true love. Every date seemed better than the last.

On the one-month anniversary of their first dinner on the cruise ship, Ed took Nancy to a fine restaurant.

While having cocktails and waiting for their salad, Ed said, "I guess you can tell I'm very much in love with you. I'd like a little serious talk before our relationship continues to the next stage. So, before I get a box out of my jacket and ask you a life changing question, it's only fair to warn you, I'm a total golf nut. I play golf; I read about golf; I watch golf on TV. In short, I eat, sleep, and breathe golf. If that's going to be a problem for us, you'd better say so now!"

Nancy took a deep breath and responded, "Ed, that certainly won't be a problem. I love you just as you are and I love golf too; but, since we're being totally honest with each other, you need to know that for the last five years I've been a hooker."

Ed said, "I bet it's because you're not keeping your wrists straight when you hit the ball."

I'm 5'9", but I do a lot of upper body. Free weights and pushups every day.

I'm going to hit Craigslist and see if anyone has a hockey stick shaped club.

I find a lot of the power in my golf swing comes from my core. After a 36 hole day, my abs are killing me.

But still, if you can consistently hit a 7 iron 200 yards, you're longer than like 90% of tour players. If you play enough you'll discover like I did that excessive length hurts more than it helps.

A guy who lived in my old street used to put his golf clubs in the boot of the car every saturday morning, then go into work to do the overtime shift - hoping that everyone else would say 'look at him, so rich he can go off and play golf on -his- saturdays'

what a creep.

I find a lot of the power in my golf swing comes from my core. After a 36 hole day, my abs are killing me.

But still, if you can consistently hit a 7 iron 200 yards, you're longer than like 90% of tour players. If you play enough you'll discover like I did that excessive length hurts more than it helps.

I think I overdid it. My obliques are sore today, and the outside of my left ankle is killing me. No doubt from my expert stance.

I played on Saturday and Sunday. It was some of the best and worst golf I've ever played. Ended up with rounds of 85 and 83. Those scores could easily be in the 70's if I was even a marginally skilled putter. I recorded putts of 41 and 37 putts respectively which is fucking terrible even by my standards. I did not make one putt outside of 3 feet. I'm not sure if it's all me, or if I'm some victim of retard playing conditions. The course greens are lightning fast. I'm talking two footers when missed, leave you 4-6 feet past. And on top of that the greens are bumpy! What the fuck. So I miss these putts by like half an inch to either side of the cup and blown way past.

I'm off to the practice green today after work to further frustrate myself.

I made one putt yesterday from approximately 9 inches. I missed about 15 others. And yet when I play miniature golf I can make an 18-footer through a windmill and off a wall bounce. Go figure.

I played on Saturday and Sunday. It was some of the best and worst golf I've ever played. Ended up with rounds of 85 and 83. Those scores could easily be in the 70's if I was even a marginally skilled putter. I recorded putts of 41 and 37 putts respectively which is fucking terrible even by my standards. I did not make one putt outside of 3 feet. I'm not sure if it's all me, or if I'm some victim of retard playing conditions. The course greens are lightning fast. I'm talking two footers when missed, leave you 4-6 feet past. And on top of that the greens are bumpy! What the fuck. So I miss these putts by like half an inch to either side of the cup and blown way past.

I'm off to the practice green today after work to further frustrate myself.

maybe putt softer? it sounds like you're trying to ram them in at 100mph like tiger woods

maybe putt softer? it sounds like you're trying to ram them in at 100mph like tiger wooods

It's hard to explain and even harder to get sympathy. I can't putt much softer. This course is known for pros putting off the green when they are above the hole. Part of it is the grass. It's bermuda which is all grain, meaning if you're with the grain and above the hole, you're fucked. Hit the hole or three putt.

Oh yeah, hitting softly means the balls bounces oddly off those bumps. It's not from aeration. As best I can tell, it's old men dragging their feet that causes it. :fly:

old timer foot shuffling is brutal on a green. they're not allowed to wear actual spikes are they?

Soft spikes typically. Metal spikes allowed for tournament play. I wonder if the people who play in those even wear metal? I bet they don't. Very unpopular now.