The glorious Colonel Sanders Cafe and Museum

itburnswhenipee

Lonestar
May 25, 2005
Maryland
Marklar
₥797
I'm a total sucker for kitchy americana, so it should come as no surprise that I nearly wet myself when I saw the signs for this place.

p1010001.jpg

Here it is, the original home of Kentucky Fried Chicken, opened and operated by the man himself, Kentucky Colonel Harlan Sanders.

p1010003.jpg

Here's the landmark sign. I only just realized that it says "See other side" at the bottom. Oh well...

p1010002.jpg

An overenthusiastic yahoo. Some poeple you can't take anywhere.

p1010004.jpg

p1010005.jpg

The kitchen display on the museum side of the store. In the second photo you'll see a manually operated french-fry cutter just left of that greenish box.

p1010006.jpg

The actual preserved body of Harlan Sanders. After lying in state at the capitol building in Frankfort his body was encased in fiberglass and moved to the restaraunt that made him a household name.

Okay, I made up that last part, but he really did lie in state at the Kentucky capitol so people could pay their respects. Not bad for a humble fried chicken merchant.

Also, check out the adding machine on the desk. Simple arithmetic never weighed so much.

p1010007.jpg

An actual typewriter in front of some chips well past their prime.

p1010008.jpg

You can't read it in this resized photo, but the small, yellow plate reads "Wurlitzer." I never knew they made wood paneled jukeboxes. I'm guessing it predates the chrome and bubble-tube jobs of the fifties.

p1010009.jpg

Mom always told me I should've gone to college. It's service with a smile, at least. Now, you want fries with that, motherfucker?

p1010010.jpg

P1010011.jpg

Our intrepid colonel opened a small motel next to his restaurant and gas station in a further attempt to capitalize on all the traffic travelling US route 25-- the main thru fare in the area prior to the completion of I-75 a few miles to the west. He set up a demo motel room in the restaurant to show patrons that clean and comfortable rooms were just a few yards away.

P1010012.jpg

The lobby area. Just offscreen to the left is the KFC food counter.

P1010013.jpg

Entranced by the entrance.

P1010014.jpg

P1010015.jpg

A model showing how the original service station, motel, and restaraunt looked back in the thirties and fourties.

P1010017.jpg

P1010018.jpg

P1010019.jpg

P1010020.jpg

P1010021.jpg

P1010022.jpg

A series of artifacts on display in the back of the lobby section. Notice that the big drum of seasoning says "COL. SANDERS' BASIC FORMULA," not secret formula. I wonder where they hid the good stuff. Also, I have no idea what's up with the wooden shoes in that last shot.

P1010024.jpg

Tee hee hee! My beer gut quivers in anticipation!

P1010025.jpg

Hey, spork you, buddy!

Trivia: What we commonly call a 'spork' is actually a Runcible Spoon.
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a961108a.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runcible_spoon

Obscure trivia: Runcible was an early system of mathematics for the IBM 650, a mid-fifties era computer.

P1010026.jpg

Original table setting from the old restaurant

P1010027.jpg

All things considered, it's one of the nicest fast food joints I've ever been in.

P1010028.jpg

Mission statement of original establishment. Sorry for the glare.

Thanks to Eileenbunny for manning the camera while I giggled like a schoolgirl, made an ass of myself, and shoveled artery clogging food in my mouth.

He may have started there but we have the first official "Kentucky Fried Chicken" Restaurant. I can't believe you had KFC again on Tues after having it for dinner on Mon.

kiwi said:
He may have started there but we have the first official "Kentucky Fried Chicken" Restaurant. I can't believe you had KFC again on Tues after having it for dinner on Mon.

When the interstate opened he sold the joint in Kentucky and started selling franchises. The first one he sold was in Salt Lake.

And, yes, I really didn't want more fried chicken, but I don't see how I had a choice.

itburnswhenipee said:
When the interstate opened he sold the joint in Kentucky and started selling franchises. The first one he sold was in Salt Lake.

And, yes, I really didn't want more fried chicken, but I don't see how I had a choice.

True, true. I don't see how you could stop at the original Sander's Cafe and not have fried chicken.

we have "the big chicken" in marietta where I live...local landmark of sorts
wlchicken.jpg

Last edited:
When we were in atlanta we went to the KFC that has the big wooden chicken on the front of the building.Its animated and everything. Ill post the pic when I get home.

Drool-Boy said:
When we were in atlanta we went to the KFC that has the big wooden chicken on the front of the building.Its animated and everything. Ill post the pic when I get home.

look up :p

itburnswhenipee said:
Hey, I totally payed her in popcorn chicken later on. You might find it hard to believe but keeping Eileen happily fed is hard work.

hey man, keep the tales of your scat games to yourself :mad:

You guys have no idea how much I miss the alcohol fueled shenanigans from when IBWIP and Eileen lived in the area.

I'll give you an idea:

I miss them so much that seeing pictures of non-alcohol fueled shenanigans is getting me all misty.

BeeRad said:
Didnt they change the name to Kentucky Fresh Chicken cause Fried sounded like shit? Heard that shit somewhere

My understanding is that it wasn't a formal name change, just a marketing campaign. Anytime I saw it written, "fresh" was always in quotes...Come get a bucket of Kentucky "Fresh" Chicken.

Nothing that is served in a bucket is healthy no matter what you call it :lol: