The Fly Trap (Possibly NSFW)

Status
Not open for further replies.
more bad news in my family- my uncle's cancer is back, and seems virtually untreatable since he has complications with his diabetes. :(

That sucks. My mom just found out one of her cats, a part russian blue/tabby, has Diabetes and possibly either lymphomia or some other cancer. :( The cat's blood sugar count was like 600, plus has a high White Blood Cell count, which usually means some terminal cancer. The cat goes back to the vet in a couple weeks for X-Rays to find out hopefully that it isn't cancer but something more treatable.

What I don't get is how companies make so much profit off medication for animals. A month's vial of Insulin for the cat cost my mom $95.00, where she asked one of her best friends who has Diabetes how much she paid for hers, $10.00. Isn't Insulin made from the same source, and can't it be given to humans and animals?

In other news, I tried out Amazon's MP3 Music Store just now. I had this stupid debit card that was given to me from my Cell company that I needed to get rid of. Purchased a couple of albums that I could not find elsewhere :shifty: I think their Music Downloader tool is a torrent. Downloaded each album in less than a minute. With album art, 256kbit CBR. Pretty damn cool.

What I don't get is how companies make so much profit off medication for animals. A month's vial of Insulin for the cat cost my mom $95.00, where she asked one of her best friends who has Diabetes how much she paid for hers, $10.00. Isn't Insulin made from the same source, and can't it be given to humans and animals.
I know human and pig insulin are pretty close but it's a hormone so it varies a wee bit between species.

Speaking of drugs my mom's chemo therapy drug Erbitux costs $36,000 per vial (8 treatments) and they have to evacuate the building if it spills.

I know human and pig insulin are pretty close but it's a hormone so it varies a wee bit between species.

Speaking of drugs my mom's chemo therapy drug Erbitux costs $36,000 per vial (8 treatments) and they have to evacuate the building if it spills.

my mom's anti-emetic costs something like $1k for a bottle of 20 pills... given her condition and the fact that she's had like $50k treatments (luckily remotely covered by BCBS) ever other week, blue cross/the pharmacy just said "screw that, it's on the house".

my mom's anti-emetic costs something like $1k for a bottle of 20 pills... given her condition and the fact that she's had like $50k treatments (luckily remotely covered by BCBS) ever other week, blue cross/the pharmacy just said "screw that, it's on the house".
We have -so- many bottles or compazine and lorazepam. The side effects of compazine are crazy, especially if you're allergic to it (ugh).

There are tons of jokes we can make about her being worth a million dollars now though ^.^

We have -so- many bottles or compazine and lorazepam. The side effects of compazine are crazy, especially if you're allergic to it (ugh).

There are tons of jokes we can make about her being worth a million dollars now though ^.^

when they put the power port in her, we started calling her the borg queen or the bionic woman :fly: she was in really good spirits for most of her treatment, which was amazing. i've never known that kind of determination from anyone in my life. it's no wonder why she wants to go to west palm this week and kick her baby brother's ass.

it's because we're coming up with more ways to abuse our bodies- chemicals, exposure to more natural elements, and evolving to live to older ages (involves a canonical molecular/genetic pathway). it's like cancer is a side effect of the human race trying to become more invincible. aside from my grandmother (who, in her own right, survived 2 heartattacks, triple bypass surgery, diabetes, and 2 debilatating strokes), everyone in my older part of the family has pushed the 90s/100s envelope. And now two members of my mom's generation have cancer- my uncle was 45 when he started having symptoms. i don't know what that means for me, aside from the fact that i get drugged and have my ass probed by aliens every 3 years for the rest of my life :(

is anyone else pissed off that today is the 1st of september, and that means there's slightly less hope of decent weather for another 9 months?

picture.php

Status
Not open for further replies.